Question about WTS/UN scandal

by gilwarrior 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hi Joe

I accept your apology for calling me susan and not satan;) If there was a real satan getting called sue, he probably wouldn't settle for just an apology.

Seriously though, all the evidence is before you. Might i suggest that you devote say .. one year to explore the wt brainwash methods. Seek them out in your area. Accept their 'free home bible study', start going to their meetings when they invite you, accompany them door to door. It would be an interesting experience for you. I'm a bit nervous suggesting this, because there is always the chance you could really become one of them.

Take care SS

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

So Joseph, now that I've decided to "abandon the thread" that's precisely when you decide to start pretending to deal with the issues. You are so predictably childish. Is that why it has taken you so long to attain the lofty level of Assistant Professor? And is there no bottom to your dishonesty? Apparently not. Against my better judgement I'll respond this last time:

Note what Alward did:

He quoted what I stated, and which is true, namely;

The Head Librarian and also the letter higher up in this thread have confirmed that it was not necessary to be an NGO to get a library card
    Recall that the Librarian stated;

Although the Dag Hammarskjöld Library and the NGO Section are both
    within DPI, admission to the Library is not related to NGO status except in
    the positive sense: anyone with a pass permitting entrance to the United
    Nations premises (including accredited NGO representatives as well as
    accredited members of the press) can enter and use the Library facilities.
    Otherwise, a library pass is required. Passes are granted to serious
    researchers upon presentation of a letter with the raised seal of your
    institution and subject to clearance by both the Library and UN Security.
    and then Alward said:

Hartley evidently wants trusting forum members to believe that the Watchtower claimed that it was necessary to be an (affiliated) NGO to get a library card. This is not true.
    and yet it is true - look what the WTS actually said;
    Our purpose in registering with the Department of
    Public Information as a nongovernmental organization (NGO) in 1991 was to have access to research material avaiable on health, ecological and social problems at the United Nations library facilities. We had been using the library for many years prior to 1991, but in that year it became necessary to register as an NGO to have continued access.
    You cannot get much clearer than that. Even Alward said that it could mean two things - so how is he sure it is not true? Why is he misrepresenting the fact that, according to what he said earlier, there is no way to know which of the two meanings is correct? Recall that Joe's argument is that when the WTS says it was necessary to register as an NGO to have continued access they didn't actually mean that it was necessary to register, but it was necessary that they have continued access and so they chose to register. So at worst, his beloved WTS is guilty of unclear wording he says - or something like all of that - it's all back up the thread!

Note how he says "trusting forum members" to add credence to his fallacious argument. He also implies that the forum members are so stupid that they would be misled without Mighty Joe Alward coming to protect them.

Then Alward states:

I bring this up to show forum members what happens when someone loses their balance in an argument. Hartley was caught in a deliberate misrepresentation made for the purpose of strengthening his argument, and he lashes out with feigned laughter at my innocent mistake and apology, then he runs away.
    I made I believe 5 concrete points in my last thread alone - none of which Alward bothered to deal with except to jump on a mistatement I had made. I had meant to say something like "The Head librarian was confident that ...." which I believe her words indicate - or she would not have said them. But Alward, while yet again ignoring everything I said, jumped on a single mistatement and focussed exclusively on that - ignoring all else. That is, again, a juvenile debating technique - poisoning the well. Why not deal with my points one at a time and then raise that objection as appropriate. Then I would have accepted his point. This is typical of Joe - look back over this thread and see how he has misrepresented what I said, for example, spending an entire post explaining how and why I'd misunderstood Gillies letter when in fact Alward was misrepresenting what I said - and possibly deliberately ignored the Nov 1 WT leter that hawk reproduced at the beginning of the thread.

Alward is an arrogant intellect who, possibly, has come to this forum thinking that he could snow us - probably to reassure himself of his great intellectual prowess. Well, he cannot. Although I admit that his thread on how to spell "anointed" was a real eye opener.

This thread proves that;

(i) Alward will defend the WTS at all costs even if it means redefining words so that "it was necessary" means - "it was not necessary" - typical cultist behavior.

(ii) Alward is intellectually dishonest because he will only start to deal with issues when he thinks that the person he is debating with has left the debate.

(iii) Alward can only deal with a single issue at a time and cannot see the broader picture. For example, he asked for proof that the WTS had other reasons for affiliating than the library card and I supplied it - the Portuguese branch's statement. I have lost track of how many times I've asked him to comment on this. But he will not do so. Why? Well, he says he will when the time comes. So why did he ask for examples in the first place? Likemany JWs he shifts the terms of the debate as he loses point after point.

Now I'm gone from this thread Joe, so you can indulge your habit of intellectual masturbation in the purest sense of the word - on your own. And if it turns you on, Joe, you can even keep track of how many people are watching you do it to yourself.

Hugs,

Lionel

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

SaintSusan,

... because there is always the chance you could really become one of them.
    He certainly would fit in - I'm sure that there would be an opening for him in the writing department.

LPH

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Nice to hear from you again, Saint Satan.

Studying brainwashing methods and having home bible study sessions will not provide evidence that the Watchtower lied about its reason for affiliation. Furthermore, I am already convinced that the Watchtower engages in thought control, ruins lives, and intentionally breaks apart loving families. I don't need to have Jehovah's Witnesses into my home to know that the Watchtower is among the most destructive legal institutions in the world.

Thanks for the comments.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward
    but in that year it became necessary to register as an NGO to have continued access.

Hartley evidently still wants the above words to mean that the Watchtower was claiming that the only way to have continued access was by affilation. As I've said before, this is one possible meaning; it is the one Hartley and other accusers prefer because it makes liars out of the Watchtower.

The alternative meaning is more benign. What the Watchtower could have said is,

"it became necessary either to present documents proving a legitimate research interest, or to register as an NGO to have continued access.
    But, then they would have to add another sentence explaining why they chose the second path, and not the first, so they may just have given us the short version without thinking about it too hard. They can be faulted for the imprecision, as I've noted before, but it is too great a leap to brand the statement as a lie; it is just an incomplete explanation which allows for the possibility of lying. However, a possible lie is not the same as the big LIE which forum members have been so fervently advertising.

Joseph F. Alward

• Satanus
    Satanus

Joe

'I don't need to have Jehovah's Witnesses into my home to know that the Watchtower is among the more harmful legal institutions in the world. '

Fair enough. The purpose of my suggestion was to provide a solution to your inability to understand the seriousness of the un/wt scandal.

SS

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

They could have said a lot of things. But they didn't - they said that it was necessary to register as an NGO to get access and it wasn't. Of course, if they had said as you suggested then it would certainly have damned them even more, for JWs would ask - well, then why did you register instead of taking the benign approach of simply documenting your research interests?

Actually, you are misrepresenting the WTS by putting words into their mouth. That you do it to make them look good is no more honest than the supposedly deliberate misrepresentation that you accuseed me of.

Since they were answering the question "Why did you register" and not "Why did you want a library card" then it is perfectly clear that they registered because it became necessary to have continued access - at least according to them.

You still have ignored the Portuguese question even though you started out demanding evidence for reasons beyond library access. That statement indicates an entirely different reason for registering. But shifting the terms of the debate is just another well known technique used by those who are interested more in trying to win a debate than to figure out what's going on.

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Saint Satan,

I understand why some members think it is serious. To many members, the affiliation was an astonishing act of betrayal and hypocrisy. The teachings against the United Nations made such a strong impression on one forum member, that he would cross the street rather than walk past the United Nations building; it's no wonder that so many people are up in arms after learning of the affiliation. However, being angry at the Watchtower for whatever personal wrongs or betrayals were suffered at the Watchtower's hands is not sufficient grounds for exaggerating perceived wrongs, which is what I fear is going on with accusations about the affiliation.

Thanks for the interest.

Joseph F. Alward

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Alward wrote,

The alternative meaning is more benign. What the Watchtower could have said is,

"it became necessary either to present documents proving a legitimate research interest, or to register as an NGO to have continued access.

Hartley accuses me of misrepresentation:

Actually, you are misrepresenting the WTS by putting words into their mouth. That you do it to make them look good is no more honest than the supposedly deliberate misrepresentation that you accuseed me of.
    There's a big difference between what I did and what Hartley did; I made it clear that the words I was writing were the words the Watchtower could have said; it was clear to the readers that added words were my own, not the Watchtower's, so no deception can be alleged. On the other hand, when Hartley said that the main librarian "was confident," he did NOT tell his readers that the word "confident" was HIS word, not the librarian's.

I'll let forum members be the judge of who is guity of misrepresentation.

Joseph F. Alward

• Lionel_P_Hartley
    Lionel_P_Hartley

The trouble is, Joseph, that all through this thread - at least from the point where you decied to change the terms of the debate - you have been misrepresenting what they did actually say as if it meant what you think that they could have said. It is only in this last post but one that you finally admitted that you are interpreting what they did say as what they might have said. Careful readers will note that I had said that Alward was putting words in the WTS's mouth well before his last but one post. That is the misrepresentation. But Iwas gratified that you finally admitted the charge I made some several threads ago.

As for my mistatement - I have explained what I had intended to say. It was a simple slip - but a golden opportunity for a junior debating champion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit