Please explain the point of being Good?

by Brocephus 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This is a textbook example of a topic thread title not meaning what the original poster actually means.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

Ya I screwed it up MadSweeney... You can tell you reads the original post and who doesn't.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Brocephus I felt exactly the same way. When I was an active JW I even told my friends & family I'd rather live just this one life and actually enjoy it, then be miserable my whole life and possibly, maybe get a chance to live forever. Oddly I got the same looks. lol.

• Terry
    Terry

> I meant Good as in obeying the JW rules

There is no good reason to be good.

It is a recursive fugue. One "good" chases the other good.

Do we do a good thing because it is good or is it good because we do it?

You have to start at a given point.

There is no point from which to start a good.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

The starting point of "Good" for the purposes of this conversation shall be following the Watchtowers rules so as not to incur God's angry wrath at armageddon and be humilitated and put down like a rabid dog. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Remember this is about a teenager asking his JW parents to please explain the point of all these stupid rules again...

no military

no football

no dances

no dating

no holidays

no birthdays

get the idea?

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

The starting point of "Good" for the purposes of this conversation shall be following the Watchtowers rules so as not to incur God's angry wrath at armageddon and be humilitated and put down like a rabid dog. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    Remember this is about a teenager asking his JW parents to please explain the point of all these stupid rules again...
    no military
    no football
    no dances
    no dating
    no holidays
    no birthdays
    get the idea?

I don't think 'good' is the appropriate word to use. It's very misleading.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Then the answer is : there is no point for being "good". (the jw kind) Be good your kind

• Gregor
    Gregor

cyberjesus makes a good point. We each have an internal code of conduct that we build our self image around. I think it is important to live up to our personal standards and when we don't it is appropriate to feel disappointed with oneself and resolve to do better. Anyone who chooses to abandon all pretense of decent behavior is taking a big risk of loosing who they are.

• Brocephus
    Brocephus

My point was to point how the lack of logic in the JW afterlife. What they feel is an incentive is really not, and their verson of eternal damnation is really quite appealing. I believe this even goes for believers if they actually thought about. Which leads me to assume JW's are power mongering tyrants or brainwashed idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit