Sitting on the Fence....to believe or not to believe, that is my dilemma.

by tootie 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Sometimes the best we can do is just to weed out the lies and things we know that are NOT truth

I did that for a while, then I realised that I had to start over. Everything I had been taught about God had come from my parent's religion and was now suspect. Everything. I was a spiritual babe. I knew nothing that could be trusted. Even the holy book was chosen by them. I could have been born to a Muslim or Hindu and had a different set of holy books.

Their primary doctrine is that Jesus selected them to be God's sole channel of communication in 1919.

If that is true, what should you do?

If that is false, what should you do? or maybe more importantly, what should you not do?

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• pirata
    pirata

It sounds to me like your main reason for leaving is not wanting to follow all the (man-made) rules. That's a valid reason, but leaving on those grounds alone may leave long-term doubts in your mind.

Understanding the arguments on both sides of the fence will help you to make a more informed decision that you can feel comfortable live with. Do your own research into the history of the organization. Decide if the many of the rules/policies are really scriptural. Look through the emotion of negative comments on this board and see the facts, logic and scriptural reasonings being made. Read Crisis of Conscience. Read the stories on Free Minds. Making an informed decisions will help you to stick with it and feel good about it.

There are millions of non-religious people who lead happy lives. JWs often believe that the world is made up exclusively of unhappy, unloving people, but that is just not the case.

• MF2
    MF2

Hi Tootie,

You have a PM.

• moshe
    moshe

Good luck and welcome. The book, "the Five Gospels", by the Jesus Seminar was instrumental in helping me get rid of the religious boggie man that kept hounding my subconscious.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I believed whole heartedly when I got df'd, and so did the thousands of others who got the ax for coming forward and/or refusing to continue the cover ups of child abuse and domestic violence. That in itself should make you wonder about the Watchtower.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

Welcome Tootie. I too was born-in to the organization. The hardest part I think you face is seperating the emotional responses from actual fact. Thats what help me the most to come to my own decision to fade from the congregation. When I started to just fact check things that just felt so "right", thats when the house of cards started to come apart. Reaching for unobtainable standards, the supposed shedding of new light (this was a big one for me, because with all the prophecies regarding Jesus, they were added to, the base or foundation of his initial earthly appearance never changed. Prophets added NEW information like which family line he decended from and which city he would be born into, unlike the "new light" we get now which is FOUNDATIONAL doctrine changes on a regular basis), the constant feeling of unhappiness and other things, when held up to reality became the game changer for me.

You may or may not have experienced this yourself, but for a LONG time I was TOLD how to think, feel and act, from my sincere parents who raised me in the organization. I wasn't allowed to discover things on my own. Even though the bible says to test the teachings you're given to make sure they are true, the organization spends a lot of its resources to keep you from doing JUST THAT.. Give yourself time, and really just start putting the teaching to the light of reality and fact, the gold-like film will start to peel away from the dish and you may find the original tarnished copper that was hidden underneath.

I'm sure there are many sincere and wonderful people within the organization, but just like a corrupt corporation with dedicated and hard working employees, you often find corrupt CEO's at the top handing down very controlling and demaning policies. Thats what the Watchtower organization is like in my view.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome tootie!

OnTheWayOut :Hey, don't confuse hate for the Watchtower with hate for JW's. The vast majority here will agree that there are mostly genuine sincere people in the religion. It's the way it has come to be ruled that makes it a dangerous mind-control cult. It's the way that the doctrine is all wrong yet enforced upon the people in order to perpetuate the organization that makes it LIES LIES LIES.

Agreed on all points!

Sometimes the best we can do is just to weed out the lies and things we know that are NOT truth.

1 John 1:5 (New International Version)

5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

James 1:17 (New International Version)

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Do the WT really promote THE truth? John 14:6 John 1:17 1 John 5:20

The clue is in the name "Jehovah's Witnesses". Compare this with who Christians are witnesses to Acts 1:8 Romans 10:9 Revelation 17:6 Revelation 20:4 Matthew 10:32

Blessings,

Stephen

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear Tootie,

I think I understand how you feel. I have loved the organization and the brothers and sisters for as long as I can remember. I didn't leave (suddenly faded 8 months ago) because anybody mistreated me, neither because I wanted to do anything "unlawful". I always felt happy, protected and privileged to be among the "chosen people", wondering each day what I had done different from many other good-hearted people to deserve belonging to the only true religion.

The reason I left is that for some reason I can't fathom, my logical mind emerged from among gigantic piles of indoctrination and I couldn't stop it as hard as I prayed with a heart full of faith. After nearly two years of growing doctrinal doubts, the voice inside sounded clear as crystal one Sunday morning and I realized as if I were just a mere observer I wouldn't go back to the meetings ever again.

I left my whole world behind me... and, yes, there is life life outside the organization: an amazing life, a fascinating world to discover.

Just take your time, there's no rush. You may never make the decision or you may find yourself ready sooner than you think. Do whatever your conscience directs you to do as you walk your own path. Good luck to you!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I would think very carefully before making any decision. There are some faults within the organisation but it's minor compared to the satanism and rampant drug use in the world. Are you married? If not finding a decent mate amongst the world is nearly impossible. Wife swapping and casual sex are the norm these days. It's depressing.

WOW, what world are in living in. I've been out for over 10 years and I've never seen rampant drug use and satanism. I've also found a very loving, caring, and good hearted woman that loves me unconditionally.

Never seen the wife swapping either. Casual sex, yes there's that but you make it sound like nobody outside of the Borg has any moral values.

There are million of loving, caring individuals that strive hard to live a good life and be good to there neighbor. The Borg love to fill the mind of their followers with evil thoughts of the world they live in. If you just open your eye and look around you will see some amazing people.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The issue is with the organization itself and not so much with individula JW's.

The WT demands belief that IT ALONE is the sold voice and source of God's teaching on earth, that IT ALONE is God True and ONLY Organization and you MUST beleive this is you are to be a JW in "good standing".

Its a bunch of lies used to control the JW's.

As much as the WT tries to destort and contort the bible to its liking it doesn't change that they are wrong and have always been wrong.

To be part of the WT you must disregard the bad and accept the good, to parapharse whata poster said earlier, but can you?

Can you accept the WT lies that they are the One True Organization on Earth and THEY are mediators between Us and Christ when the Bible says this is not so?

Can you accept the blood on the hands of the WT for the mumerous deaths of innocent chidlren because of their abominal no blood doctine?

Can you accept that the WT views all their mistakes as everyone elses?

Can you accept that disfellowship of those, even family memebers, that keep theri faith in God but question the organization?

These are NOT minor things at all, they are things that destroy lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit