Well, I told my mom today that I haven't been to a meeting in 5 months plus I need some advise for next Saturday

by doublelife 31 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I liken the whole 607 vs 587 thing to December 25, is it really Christ's birthday or not?

You see, Jehovah's Witnesses love to tell people that 12-25 is NOT Christ's birthday and say, "Don't take our word for it, go to the library or the Internet and look it up yourself."

So why is it that if you tell a witness to not take your word for the whole 607 vs 587 and to look it up in the library or on the Internet, they don't follow the same reasoning and logic?

Just make them prove to you using sources other than the Watchtower publications. This uncle will probably try to use the Insite book and excerpts from the Kingdom Come publications. That's what one elder used on me, all Watchtower sources.

• doublelife
    doublelife

jamiebowers and FreudianSlip, Yes, that is a good point. However, I haven't actually said that I don't believe. I only said I was having doubts. I plan on using Billy's approach to ask questions and let him do the talking. I'll never admit to anything. And I'm only going through all the charades for my mom but I'll never show up for a JC. Keeping my mom from disowning me isn't worth that. Maybe that's the wrong attitude, especially after already losing one parent, but that's just how I feel. There's only so much I can do. My mom has to live with whatever decision she makes.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

First of all, what is your goal? What do you want to achieve? Do not forget that ALL. I repeat ALL are under mind control. There is no reasoning with them. No argument will change their mind. So reasoning will be a waste of time and a waste of an opportunity and possible it will be a reason to bring you to your elders for a JC.

Concentrate on bringing out their real personality. Talking about doctrine is a waste of time.

• doublelife
    doublelife

garyneal, I like your reasoning. And I already know what the Insight book says. It doesn't actually prove anything. It uses words like 'probably' and 'more than likely.'

• doublelife
    doublelife

cyberjesus, I'm only doing this because my mom cornered me and asked me to. That's it. No other reason. I just want her to think that I'm humble enough to allow someone to talk to me about this that way she can't accuse me of being haughty like my MIL did.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    garyneal, I like your reasoning. And I already know what the Insight book says. It doesn't actually prove anything. It uses words like 'probably' and 'more than likely.'

Weasel words and yet Jehovah's Witnesses are entrusting their lives to these people who publish this stuff. So sad.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

It doesn't matter whether your uncle is more into 'reason' or 'faith'. If you are not going along with him by the end of the conversation, it doesn't really matter. I would heed the others who warned you of his being a second witness. I have found that relatives say one thing when they think you can be turned back, another when you leave. If your family is so 'in' it that your uncle is an elder, your mom will be put under theocratic pressure to shun you, and that will trump her promise. With family in on all sides, there is no way out of that one. Just fade, don't talk about it, don't 'come out' in any public way if you want to maintain that relationship. Just my advice based on observations for years.

• boyzone
    boyzone

If you want to focus on the biblical reasoning rather than the historic, the last few chapters of Gentile Times Reconsidered is a must.

also have you seen the KISS thread? Keep It Simple, Sweetie.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/55372/1/586-587-the-K-I-S-S-approach-no-VAT4956-Ptolemy-Josephus-needed

• FreudianSlip
    FreudianSlip

I'll never show up for a JC

They often disfellowship people even if they don't show up. They'll already have two witnesses.

I do think you need to think about WHY you are doing this. Many of us here never thought our parents would disown us and yet it happens all the time. If you want to guarantee that your family doesn't mark you even in their own minds, you'll drop the whole thing and fade QUIETLY.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Double life I wish you good luck sorry Jehovahs blessings for the meeting with your uncle... Please keep us informed...

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit