English Policemen.

by Englishman 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Englishman, that is too funny! Should have been a Monty Python sketch, like Eric Idle's "I'm Sorry Murder Trial". In fact, I'm visualizing you doing a pretty good Eric Idle "I'm awfully sorry" bit while reading the post. You hear the expression all the time "only in America", but your post rings with "Only in England!".
    I take it from the posts here that most English police don't carry. I had read an article sometime back that said that now most do. Oh and by the way, you mentioned guards at the airports carrying machine guns. Actually, they carry submachine guns. Or as the current term goes "assault weapons". Just thought I'd point that out as I go on to post a reply to Abaddon.

Mike.

"You can't have everything, where would you put it?" -- Steven Wright

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Abaddon, I have to disagree with your post.

"Basically, if I was American, I would swap my right to bear arms for the firearm fatality rate of England, but the horse has not only bolted in the 'States, it's gone and bought way too many guns to ever bolt the stable door again, unless you sent the army round, which would have the NRA creaming themselves in delight, saying "I told yuh we needed guns so we could resist when Uncle Sam came to take our guns away! Open fire!!" But I'm sure if I was bought up with guns a part of life, as many Americans are, I would share their mindset."

Obviously you are not from America. I respect your right not to bear arms but I ask that you respect our right to bear them. True, there are too many guns "on the street". But I'll put it to you this way:

Three times in my life I have had to draw my gun on someone. Two of those times I could have been injured or killed if I were not armed.
    Thankfully, I didn't have to pull the trigger.

So when the gangs, burglars, carjackers, and all the other wrongdoers disarm I will gladly hand over my guns.

Mike.

"You can't have everything, where would you put it?" -- Steven Wright

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I don't know. American cops are pretty cool. I know alot of Jersey State cops and they're great. Fair and cool. Some of them, as in all sectors and sub-groups, are racist, but so are people on your job, in positions of power, etc.

I've always been given a break by the cops when it come to speeding tickets, and trust me, I'm no raving beauty winking at the boys in blue.

ashi

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Sheesh e-man, I've never done that. I have, I hate to admit, driven off with the nozzel still inserted into my car. Twice.

It happens when I go inside to purchase something at a pay-at-the-pump station. My absent mind processes that I have paid for something, therefore my work there is done and off I go, with a sickening clatter, I get about 10 feet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit