Missing meetings due to the weather, and then attending meetings is making me Bipolar I think.

by miseryloveselders 24 Replies latest jw friends

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Here’s what the Watchtower doesn’t want their members to discover: In the “WORLD” there are great people to meet, many with better personalities, qualities and principles than those in the J.W. group. There are many amazing and interesting things to explore if you don’t stay focused on Watchtower interests. And you won’t stay in the Watchtower’s control long if you begin to discover this. Thus the constant the end is near so: shun the extremely wicked world, go to all your meetings, read every piece of literature, go in service every chance your get, counsel.

Having gone through a similar situation to yours, I feel for you my friend. A few words of advice. You need to fade! Begin planning your fade immediately before they notice attitude or you make a mistake. If you’re married start by making sure your wife is on the same page. If you do your fade very carefully, granted your family will be disappointed, but there will be little permanent damage. Keep in mind the Watchtower would rather vilify you as a df’d sinner than have you living in one of their cong’s territory as a burned out former J.W elder who will no longer do their bidding. Be extremely careful. Don’t regret the way you pulled out years from now.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Missing meetings is the best cure for depression. As they say on Discover channel, "the world is an awesome place".

There is nothing better than riding my bicycle down a tree lined mountain path on a warm Saturday morning. Yes I said Saturday morning, because Sunday is for sleeping in.

--MM

• tjlibre
    tjlibre

Misery….

It’ll be funny if we know each other. I’m also in the North East.

But you ever feel like this? Did it ever get to this point in your life while still in? Feel like I'm breaking.

I just came out of a very gloomy period. But I’ve been doing a couple of things that are helping me to overcome that depressing, hopeless feeling (which came as a result of finding the truth about the “truth”). One was to accept that this religion is just that…another religion (or cult depending on what definition you apply to the JWs), I then began to re-evaluate my understanding about the nature of the Creator and His relationship with Christianity. One thing lead to another, but what has helped me greatly is the re-discovering of a simple non dogmatic Christianity. There are other things, but I just wanted to share these.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Miseryloveselders: ROFLMAO!!! That has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time! So true, so true. Anyhow, I slowly weaned myself off of those depressingly boring, repetitive, mind-numbing, time-wasting snoozefests and don't miss anything about them. Really look forward to my weekends now; sleeping in or staying up late to my heart's content. It's a big step quitting, but I don't think you'll ever look back, once you do!

Your writing style is wonderful; looking forward to more of your musings anytime you feel so inclined...

• mama1119
    mama1119

Oh man, that was funny! Hoping for snowstorm to avoid meeting....I think that may be a sign its time to call it good with the old JWs...

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for their comments and insight. (sorry if that sounds like the end of a WT study) I was wiggin out last night. Really thought I was going to snap. Right now I'm at work getting ready to go to lunch, and I feel so much better.

Babygirl-I watch wayyy tooo many crime movies. I've always been way too fascinated with drug dealing.

Onthewayout and Wheelwithinthewheel, its coming. I don't know if its this year or not, but its coming. The fallout is what makes me hesitant. I don't ever want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but it would be shocking to quite a few if I don't plan this right. I can say 50% of the hall I can do without, but the other half I do have some emotional investments with. It would hurt me, to hurt them. Obviously that goes without saying in regards to my family much more. Wheel, my attitude has already displayed itself a couple times at the Hall. I had to reevaluate my mannerisms and speech. We had a Pioneer who was moving across the Country to "serve where the need is great." So a group photo was taken, and I was desperately trying to get out of the hall, when they called me over to be apart of the photo. So I joined in, and some little girl noticed my demeanor, and said in front of everybody, "Misery, smile." It was almost as if someone spilled cold water on me as i was sleeping when it resonated. Or being caught with my pants down. So I smiled, and made a note to myself, to smile more often. Some days it just becomes too difficult though.

Blondie it might be cognitive dissonance. I bought a book on Epictetus and Stoikism, and its helped tremendously. I'm learning about how to evaluate impressions and emotions, and how to recognize whats beyond my limitations and how to act accordingly. As evident by this thread I still have quite some way to go. I meant to mention in your last WT thread, I hope and pray your health gets better.

TJLibre thats hilarious. It fits too. It amazes me that in their attempt to imitate 1st Century Christians activity, they missed the point. Paul said to, "go on encouraging one another as the day draws near." For one thing Paul thought "the day" was coming in his day. Maybe it did happen in "his day", and what we've been doing for the past century is all for naught. I wonder. In the meantime, our meetings are not encouraging. Rarely do I feel that I've gained anything from attending. Theres times I'm conducting a study, or delivering a 1/2 hour discourse and it feels like Deja Vu. I think I'm developing mental problems as a result. The thing is, most people don't need to sit somewhere going over some chapter in a poorly written book for a half hour for encouragement. Think about it.......we study the lesson the night before. The Reader reads the paragraphs. The Conductor asks the questions, with half the answer within the question. Someone answers the question. All of this is done with microphones for amplified results. Thats NOT encouragement. That's indoctrination. Thats reinforcement. Thats memory training which may stamp the information in the brain, but it does very little for the figurative heart other than "weigh it down". By the way you may know me. We very well may have crossed paths. I'm a fan of a team in the AFC that was successful within the past decade.

LifeisTooshort I don't know what your present situation is like, but its nice when you realize the problem isnt you. Sometimes I don't even know if its them? Its this whole culture of JWism placing importance on organizational matters as opposed to love. Love for God and Neighbor have been downplayed into stat sheets. Field service time, placements, your publisher record card, meeting attendance, peak publishers, bible studies, it all starts to look like the back of baseball cards after a while. So your never actually playing the game as much as your compiling, collecting, and monitoring your stats. So there is no time for actual affection or displaying genuine love because your too busy playing your role as an Elder, Pioneer, Elder's wife ( I don't know how women tolerate that), Publisher, etc.. Then you take into the social dynamics of a congregation, and if you don't fit in with certain social clicks, your a misfit. Ironic isnt it, your treated as a misfit, by people who are considered misfits by most other people who live normal lives today. Then the oppressive misfit class can't understand when you don't want to be apart of this toxic culture anymore. Laughable if it wasnt so tragic.

MeetingJunkie- thanks I try to post when i can, just too busy. Way too busy. I post at work or later in the evening when at home if I have nothing going on. But thank you.

Thanks to all for your input. The next few months, I'm gonna need it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Why is it that the religion or faith that is supposed to give you comfort or hope, is the very thing that makes you contemplate stepping in front of a bus with hardly any traffic around, or leaving your car running in the garage while you sit and wait for the exhaust to put you out of your misery? I miss meetings and I feel great. I attend meetings, and I leave disgruntled, angry,

I hear the same thing from the dub family .. O K I go along sometimes, for the ride and to be helpful and so their life does not entirely leave me behind. But they do really care, and I have lost count of the rides home with them ranting about the speaker, the WT conductor, or what they said on the platform, and that it sure isn't what it used to be.

Why do they have to be so careful not to stop going - or the faith just disappears ? Does your passion for your ball team disappear if you miss a few games? There is something the matter there...

BTW if it did all get too much, do not rely on the "car in the garage " method. I have heard that catalytic converters ,and unleaded petrol mean that it does not work as well as it used to!!

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More
    Its this whole culture of JWism placing importance on organizational matters as opposed to love. Love for God and Neighbor have been downplayed into stat sheets. Field service time, placements, your publisher record card, meeting attendance, peak publishers, bible studies, it all starts to look like the back of baseball cards after a while. So your never actually playing the game as much as your compiling, collecting, and monitoring your stats. So there is no time for actual affection or displaying genuine love because your too busy playing your role as an Elder, Pioneer, Elder's wife ( I don't know how women tolerate that), Publisher, etc..

SPOT ON! Precisely what drove my significant other to say 'to hell with the whole charade'. Also precisely what was conveyed to the 'shepherds' when they came a-calling. Been there, done that, no longer interested...finally living THE REAL LIFE in the here and now...

We have been slowly reconnecting with 'worldly' family that we were told to steer clear of as young children (both of us were more or less born-ins). They have been so forgiving; glad to be a part of our lives again and have shown genuine care and concern and also been there for us, 'like a brother'.

We watch the JW part of our families' struggling with all of the 'requirements' in their regimented style of living and now see so clearly the hamster wheel they're perpetually on that leaves them exhausted and unfulfilled. No wonder they have to keep repeating "We are the happiest people on earth"; without that being continually drummed into their heads, I daresay more would wake up!

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I feel the same way as you. Actually,I'm staying home tonight because there are high winds here and it could start snowing while the meeting is going on. But, actually, sometimes the thought of being at the meetings makes me a nervous wreck. And when I decide to stay home, I start to feel a whole lot better right away.

• sherah
    sherah

The meeting was canceled tonight due to snow and high winds...this is the best winter ever for faders!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit