Did you get hit with the "There is nothing better out there" argument?

by lepermessiah 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

This is a suppressive argument of an abuser to their abused. There are people in prison who have been there so long, who can't see how they would make a life outside of prison. How sad, how depressing!

The mind can be opened up to read of so many stimulating topics of interests (an abundance), there becomes arts and talents (abundant) to achieve, there are many good people (abundant) to love and care for and help in so many real ways, there can be even a better rest and relaxing, not being in that empty spin added on by the JW organization, one can stop and 'smell the roses' realizing there are so many joys to embrace 'now', today. Ones can fine their own personal spirituality. Unfortunately, the Watchtower can destroy/suffocate that inner personality for ones to see no other way.

One dear humble ex-JW that I know, told her JW relative, that she may not know where she's going, but she sure knew where she had been.

• I quit!
    I quit!

The misapplied "where are we to go" scripture from the Bible becomes so deeply etched into a JW's brain that it pops up whenever the thought of leaving arises. Some of us get to the point where we don't need a place to go we just want out. As Stephen pointed out the "nothing better out there argument" isn't a challenge for you to try to prove it wrong it is a threat. Be caught looking on the other side of the line we have drawn an you will be shot.

• sd-7
    sd-7

"There is nothing better out there"?

(1) Based on what facts?

(2) I've seen what's in HERE, and all things considered, I'm very inclined to test that assumption by looking elsewhere, thank you very much.

(3) By the way, I'm sure Mormons would say the same thing.

(4) By the way, I'm sure [cult group X] would say the same thing.

--Christopher

• ziddina
    ziddina

Good points, Chalam, Dissed, and SD-7!! Finally Free, good point! OM's ghost, good analysis!

My idiot, bratty response? "Well, LIFE is out there!!!" (REAL life, not a robotic existence...) Things like college, better-paying jobs, financial security, fulfillment of one's talents, and so on... Zid

• skywho
    skywho

I always herd the line: "even if its not the truth, this is the best way to live" i herd that since i was a kid not even questioning anything. i would wonder why they would even say "even if its not the truth". i would herd it from pioneers and everything.

Sky

• dissed
    dissed

skywho -

I was thinking the same thing. Were some showing there doubts when making the statement?

And also, Welcome to the board.

Feel free to comment anytime.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s not an Arguement..

It`s a parroted brain dead response..

If a dog shits on my lawn..

I don`t worry about what I`m going to replace it with..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

And those who say "even if it's not the truth, it's the best way to live" have obviously never had to shun a family member or close friend.

When folks say that, I can agree with them to a point. My personal experience is that adhering to conservative "Christian" values such as honesty, hard work, faithfulness to your marriage mate, avoiding drunkenness and drug abuse, etc., is the best way to live. But there are lots of folks who live by that same moral code--many of whom belong to other religions or are even--gasp--not religious at all!

So I have no quarrel with the "moral" standards that the Witnesses and other fundamentalist groups profess. My issue is with the baggage that goes along with them--the shunning of family and loved ones, the wasting of years of your life in mindless indoctrination and literature distribution sessions, the foregoing of opportunities because The End is "right around the corner," etc.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I always herd the line: "even if its not the truth, this is the best way to live" i herd that since i was a kid not even questioning anything. i would wonder why they would even say "even if its not the truth". i would herd it from pioneers and everything.
    Sky

The best way to live? How?

By delaying your dreams for some magical time in the future when over 99% of humanity is dead?

By getting depressed over your physical maladies while you wait for some magical cure to fix you?

By spending your valuable time handing out propaganda to strangers?

By numbing your mind in time-wasting meetings?

By beating yourself up over the recreation you'd really like to enjoy, the way you spend your time, the sexual fulfillment you wish you could have, or the career you'd really like to begin?

By spending (at least in my area) three days baking out in the sun every year in suits just to get a recycled book and hear recycled talks? And doing nearly the same for the CAs and SADs?

By being hounded by others about your personal life?

By asking for permission to date someone, and then undergoing constant scrutiny from others about your personal details?

By being subject to petty clique issues, slander, and gossip?

Uhhh...how is that the "best way to live" again???

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

Yes, and no reasonable response to an irrelevant argument will make sense to the one making it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit