Jehovah's Witnesses - The 2nd Poorest Religion

by Elsewhere 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
  • garyneal
    garyneal

It appears that they are second to historically black churches.

I recall a long time back someone told me that a great number of people who wind up becoming Jehovah's Witnesses tend to be former Baptists of predominately black churches. Of course, he provided no data to validate it but I do recall a recent thread on this forum where the witnesses are referred to as the scientology for black people.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    It appears that they are second to historically black churches.
    I recall a long time back someone told me that a great number of people who wind up becoming Jehovah's Witnesses tend to be former Baptists of predominately black churches. Of course, he provided no data to validate it but I do recall a recent thread on this forum where the witnesses are referred to as the scientology for black people.

The "Scientology for black people" comes from The Daily Show. I agree with the observation because it seems there's a lot of black celebrity JWs (Prince, Larry Graham, the Williams sisters, Omarion, George Benson, etc.).

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I like how the JW church structure just looks like a non-descript brown blob.

This is probably correlated very strongly with educational attainment, and seeing as how the Pew study showed the Wtinesses had the LOWEST educational attainment of any major American religion, it's not suprising they are also one of the poorest.

• loosie
    loosie

Looks like it pays to be Hindu or Jewish.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    This is probably correlated very strongly with educational attainment, and seeing as how the Pew study showed the Wtinesses had the LOWEST educational attainment of any major American religion, it's not suprising they are also one of the poorest.

It also appears that evangelical Christians are also pretty poor. If evangelical = fundamentalist, then I know from direct observation that people who tend gather in these types of churches also tend to be very poorly educated.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Looks like it pays to be Hindu or Jewish.

Archie Bunker would certainly agree with the Jewish part.

• dissed
    dissed

Elsewhere - your chart blew up my page. must be my firefox

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I live in Arkansas, the second poorest state and was a member of the second poorest religion.

You can just imagine how things are here.

purps

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

It also appears that evangelical Christians are also pretty poor. If evangelical = fundamentalist, then I know from direct observation that people who tend gather in these types of churches also tend to be very poorly educated.

Most of those are probably Southern Baptists and Pentacostals, which consist of many Southerners who are just poorer in general.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit