When you were a JW....

by lavendar 15 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

For those of you who started studying with the Watchtower Society as an adult (not born in)......did a friend or family member ever try to dissuade you from joining? If so, what did you think of that person at the time?

Thanks!

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Hi Lavender,

I was a born in, though I can comment from my Mums experience when she got the truth as an adult in the late 60’s. All her family and my Dad and his family tried dissuading her. Though her bible study conductor convinced her that “all those trying to oppose you are really from Satan, as he does not want you to learn the truth.” And I’m sure she was quoted numerous scriptures to back up that statement. She sadly still hangs on to false reasoning like that and defends the society no matter what evidence to prove them wrong is put in front of her.

Mattieu....

• spawn
    spawn

I was in my 30's and some said I was mad, now I look back I wish I has listened to them and given it a wide birth.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Mattieu - Sorry to hear your mom still believes the lies of the WTS. ...yes, the WTS tells prospective members that friends and family will oppose their joining....so when the oppositions DO occur...the WTS becomes a "true prophet"!

Spawn - GLAD you're out now!

• dissed
    dissed

At 16 I started to study with the JW's. My mom encouraged me at first, thinking I would see through it and learn from the experience. But, when she and others saw it started to effect my life, they tried very hard to get me to see where I was wrong.

Family, guidance counselors, teachers, friends, all meant well, but I felt were just misguided. I used every occassion to try and give a witness.

Too bad they failed in their efforts. The WT at that time appeared too formidable. Now with the Web and all its resources, the WT's figurative walls provide no defense for the real truth, and they easily crumble.

• lavendar
    lavendar

dissed - Isn't it astounding what a controlling HOLD the WTS has over its members?!

• garyneal
    garyneal

I was considering becoming a JW when it occurred to me that I may not indeed have the truth and that I may indeed not have any hope of a ressurrection. This, of course, frightened me.

To be clear, in spite of the fact that the witnesses claim that they DON'T frighten people to join the cult, they indeed do.

Join us, or die at Armegheddon.

Join us, or have no hope of a resurrection. Why? Because you heard THE TRUTH and rejected it.

So how can they rail against Christendom's teachings of a literal hell and claim that they use it to FRIGHTEN people to give their lives to Jesus?

But at least the Baptists believe in 'once saved, always saved' and even Christians who disagree with that believe that it is very difficult to lose salvation and certainly cannot be determined by any man. A far cry from the witnesses teachings of disobey the governing body Jehovah and get kicked out the organization and lose your everlasting life. Who judges your worthiness for everlasting life as a witness? ELDERS.

At any rate, when I was considering becoming a witness I asked my mom what she thought of it. She assured me that no matter what, she would love me anyway.

Unconditional love like that is impossible amongst the witnesses.

When I later told her that I discovered the truth about 'the truth' she was relieved that I decided against being a witness.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

• lavendar
    lavendar

garyneal - yes, unconditional love is most powerful thing in the world, in my opinion.

It's just amazing to me how the WTS thinks they can take the place of God....and determine who will die and who won't. It's ludicrous!

• choosing life
    choosing life

The witnesses cover that base really well. They tell you that your family may try to stop you from joining them because Satan uses those that are closest to us to lead us astray. They use the scripture that those who love father or mother, children, etc. more than Jesus is not worthy of him. Of course, it is the organization that takes the place of Jesus.

So, when your mom tries to dissuade you or even reason with you on the subject, you have been forewarned. I knew my Mom loved me, but thought she was just ignorant of "the truth". I believed I wold some day help her find it too by remaining strong in the face of temptation.

They do a really good job of brainwashing people they study with from the start. Sad, but true.

• dobbie
    dobbie

I was about 19 when i started studying and my family were against it. My dad ignored me for ages and threatened to throw me out but that was cos he was embarrassed at having a religious fanatic in the family!

My 'best friend' who studied with me (was allowed to hang out with me as i was such a good girl lo tho not a jw), prepared me well tho and told me that my family would be against it and this would prove its the truth and i must carry on, and showed me scriptures that seemed to back it up, such as one where it says father would turn against son (or something like that) and that u have to pick up ur torture stake and follow Jesus etc. Can't quite remember them but there were definite scriptures that , when they started speaking against it all made it look like the jws were right and then i was more determined to become one. V clever and manipulative, as soon as you start to study they can get you hooked! That's why i try and educate people before that, so that they won't even want to listen to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit