Threat of 1980 Rebellion/Schism--Real or Perceived?

by neverendingjourney 34 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

I can't account for the goings on at Bethel during the period......

However in my congregation we were experiencing a 'Berean' period around that time. I went from 3 Saturdays a month concentrating on being good organizationally to be concerned about not being followers of men, discerning the context and taking in accurate knowledge so that when the end did come we were not led astray. The pointing out of WTS nonsense like mediatorship was highlighted and quotes like the watchtower was not inspired nor sought to be dogmatic were expressed. We were to be discerning in all things for it was conceivable that Satan would infiltrate the Org........ and thus is how I perceived and explained away the 80s..... Secret apostate, disgusting thing in the inner sanctuary.

Now of course I see the politico of it all!.......

• dissed
    dissed

They reacted to the perceived rebellion in their midst.

There were groups that were leaving the JW's and organizing. My old congregation of Carnarsie, Brooklyn, had over 60 DF'd for apostasy.

The GB had become paranoid and over reacted to a few in Bethel.

What they failed to recognize was that people, everywhere, independently of each other, were coming to the same obvious conclusions the WT was wrong on certain points.

So the GB couldn't be at fault, it had to be a rebellion organized, trying to take over the WT.

Remember, this was after Knorr died, these were 'new boys' now on their own, the chosen ones leading the JW's as God's comunica to the world.

imho

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Another possible answer, however, is that the GB began to sense their grip of power slipping away and decided to bring the hammer down.

The GB was new to power during this period and they didn't know how to wield it. Add to that the irrationality and belief that they were on a mission from God and you've got your explanation.

And not to derail this thread, but why do people feel the need to diss Crisis of Conscience and/or Ray Franz?

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was there during the whole incident and for a few months after Ray left. My overseer was Tom Cabeen, and he and his wife were privy to the information and plans of the Governring body on a regular basis. Being friends and Bethel elders who worked together closely, he shared enough evidence with me about the whole story. Plus, I attrended all the Bethel elders meetings and took notes.

Try these links:

http://freeminds.org/organization/brooklyn-bethel/what-happened-at-the-world-headquarters-of-jehovah-s-witnesses-in-the-spring-of-1980.html?q=happened+world ( I wrote this a year before Ray did his book, so it was the first "expose'" by a former member. I sent 10,000 free copies all over the world.)

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society:The Critical Years 1975-1997

My Story - Trouble At Bethel - Part 2

Randy's Letter of Resignation to the Governing Body

Interview with Tom Cabeen

Freddy, Klein and the Apostate Books

(the above is the most fun to read)

Randy

• Titus
    Titus

I think that Ray Franz wrote his books just to earn the money.

Sorry, Ray, but I downloaded your books in pdf for free.

• wobble
    wobble

Titus , is your surname Assholes ? Ray wrote for the benefit of duped Dubs. His sadness at what he realised the borg was permeates the book.

AS to the 1980/81 Bethel purges to expect a rational response from the GB to this problem is like expecting the English Royal family to have a humane response to the death of Diana.

Both sets of people, the GB and the Royal family, are so removed from reality and normal life that they cannot act as normal humans would.

Love

Wobble

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The GB had become paranoid and over reacted to a few in Bethel.
    What they failed to recognize was that people, everywhere, independently of each other, were coming to the same obvious conclusions the WT was wrong on certain points.

I was on a practically daily communication with Ed and his brother Marion in that day.

The above is quite true - what might also be forgotten was how much Freddy Franz hated the whole governing body idea - he really wanted to be president in toto and was not ashamed to say so. Incredibly, even after his 1975 mess blew up in their faces.

There were several others at Bethel questioning things, and many in the congregations. But most of this was due to the failure of 1975. The hard liners of the GB were convinced the sky was falling, but were also jockeying for individual rank and power.

• yknot
    yknot

Oh Titus ......

Why begrudge him?

Big Sister hugs and kisses upon your forehead

back to the topic......

Perhaps more and more letters were streaming in questions.

I remember discussing the differences between interpretation and policy.

I also heard lots of stories about the 'great disappointment' (ie 1925)

• yesidid
    yesidid

Sorry, Ray, but I downloaded your books in pdf for free.

Gross hypocrisy Titus! You're not the slightest bit sorry.

In fact your proclamation shows you are proud of your theft.

• Titus
    Titus

If "Assholes" means, "the one who says his own opinion", then - YES, I am an Assholes (in plural, if you like that).

Who is Diana, BTW?

Tonky, you are so kind, every time I say what I think. Please, warn me if I am not allowed to say my opinion sometimes.

But, thank you for your nice words and kiss.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit