How do you cope with a zealous JW wife?

by eyesthatsee 25 Replies latest jw friends

• eyesthatsee
    eyesthatsee

I've been out for a little while now - fading was my chosen strategy. Before then, elder for around 20 years - all the usual stuff.

Why leave? (1) Reading other material and thinking for yourself - never too late (2) Couldn't stomach any more judicial committees where I had to preside over handing out edicts that were going to wreck peoples' lives (3) Final realisation that I'm not going to let my children die because of the false 'blood' interpretation (4) Nail in the coffin, which opened my eyes to the 'rotteness at the core' of the organisation, was the deliberate mis-quoting of scientists and others, to make a lie seem like truth.

Anyway, my wife (both pioneered together) is as zealous as ever - more so now. She flips from rage / anger / bitter words to grief and sobbing. When angry, she accuses me of disloyalty, breaking up the family, throwing away everything we ever had etc etc. When upset, she cries who will look after her, she's so lonely, I'm breaking her and the childrens' hearts etc.

I don't want to leave me wife and family. I've explained that the only issue I have is with the religion, although have never criticised the organisation (I know my wife will report me to the elders for apostasy if I do).

Out of all this, the most difficult thing for me to cope with is the grief, the sobbing, the 'broken my heart' stuff. I can't see a way through this, unless I return to the meetings and ministry. It's been around 2 years now, and it's not getting better - worse if anything.

How do you cope with this? Is it a natural reaction to her loss, or a more definite strategy on her part? Is she being coached by the elders?

Who knows? All I know is that it's very hard and the mind control of this cult is far stronger than any normal family bond.

Thanks for reading. ETS

• designs
    designs

eyes,

This part of the exit is one of the toughest. For many people their religious affiliation is one of their strongest social connections. When that gets damaged or strained a real sense of loneliness sets in and anger over the causes. Keep the lines of communication open, let her know you are still the descent man she married fully committed to her and the kids. Plan and do lots of things with the kids. Be focused on their future. You will always be their Dad and someday their childrens Grandad so keep that bond especially close.

Peace

• ninja
    ninja

during a watchtower themed argument between me and my mrs 2 weeks ago, my son said ..."our family would be better if you weren't in it"

sniff.....still hurts to this day

• ninja
    ninja

no not me.....his arse ...after I booted it

• ninja
    ninja

cheeky wee swine

but I know how you feel eyesthatsmell

ninja

• fokyc
    fokyc

eyes thatsee:

With great difficulty

The elders of her cong just loathe and detest me;

I have uncovered their lies and they don't know what to do about it.

This of course doesn't help her, but she just plods on,

we do very occasionally have fairly violent verbal flare ups.

Just keep going on with your things!

fokyc

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It is pretty tough and there are no easy answers.

Once they see you wearing your Apostate T shirt, talking sense with them is damned near impossible. You need a degree in psychology to have a decent conversation with them.

My wife has settled down a bit, but she will never bring up religion in my presence.

You have to keep reminding yourself that you are not guilty of anything. Accusations from fundy cult members are baseless. They are the ones that need to deal with their cognitive dissonance and get their sh!t together and stop abusing their family members for not following the edicts of a bunch of old farts in Brooklyn, Salt Lake City, the Vatican, Korea, whereever.

• alanv
    alanv

My JW wife died several years ago and one of the things she said was she wouldn't have married me if she had known I was going to leave the org. In every other way we had a good close marriage and luckily our love for each other got us through it.

We all have to remember when dealing with close JW family members that they have been totally indoctrinated by the society just as we were for so long.

All you can do is be a loving husband and father and hopefully your wife will realize in time that she too has been misled. It is getting easier and easier to see the lies and hypocrisy of the society and I'm sure your wife will realize the same as you have in time.

Good luck

• Mary
    Mary
    Out of all this, the most difficult thing for me to cope with is the grief, the sobbing, the 'broken my heart' stuff. I can't see a way through this, unless I return to the meetings and ministry. It's been around 2 years now, and it's not getting better - worse if anything. How do you cope with this? Is it a natural reaction to her loss, or a more definite strategy on her part? Is she being coached by the elders?

Eyesthatsee, your situation is not unlike many others on here. Having been through this with a close friend, I'd say it's a combination of a natural reaction to her loss as well as a definite strategy to induce guilt on your part. From your wife's point of view, you have 'abandonned Jehovah' which means you're going to be murdered by Jehovah at the Big A (which of course should be arriving any day now), plus you've "brought shame on the family" by leaving the cult troof. By doing so, you have brought your wife's/family loyalty to the Borg into question and everyone she knows is standing there watching to see where her loyalty is and that will bring on a good amount of resentment on her part. She went from having it all: a husband who was an elder, her being able to pioneer----I will assume that you enjoyed popularity and social prominence in the congregation and that means THE WORLD to so many women. To her way of thinking, you ruined all of that for her as you are no longer an elder, or even go to the meetings anymore. For all intents and purposes, your wife is a 'single' woman at the meetings, and single women are viewed as next to nothing.

When angry, she accuses me of disloyalty, breaking up the family, throwing away everything we ever had etc etc. When upset, she cries who will look after her, she's so lonely, I'm breaking her and the childrens' hearts etc.

Gee, where have I heard this before??? Yes, they put the entire blame onto you for 'breaking up the family' and never stop for one second to consider that it's not you breaking up the family, but rather their misplaced loyalty to that f*cking religion that's causing the problem. They expect you to do all the changing while they refuse to meet you even half way. Your wife does not care about seeing anything from your point of view and obviously does not care as to why you no longer believe their bullshit. What she does care about is what is most convenient for her and appearances. It sucks, but that is (unfortunately) the way this religion trains people to think: loyalty to them first and family last. And of course the tears, the 'I just want a family' and how you're 'breaking the children's heart' is all being done to try and suck you right back in. Witnesses are used to getting their own way, they're under one of the most brainwashed and mind-controlling organizations on earth and the deck is stacked against you.

My own opinion on this is: Do not give in. While this might seem the easiest thing to do, you will be selling your soul to a book publishing company and nothing more. I knew someone in your exact same situation: His family were all Witnesses, they more or less shunned him and were extremely resentful that he 'gave everything up' (he used to be an elder) and they proved that their loyalty was to the WTS, not to him. He grew very depressed, and when he was at his lowest, they zeroed in for the kill. They convinced him that if he got reinstated, he could just do The Fade afterwards, and they would be able to associate with him openly and freely. While I did not agree with him doing such a thing, (I knew they were banking on him re-embracing the religion once he was back in), he did it anyway. His family held their love like a whip over his head with the unspoken message that if he stopped going to the meetings, they would withdraw their love once again. Last summer, his son in law (a smug, self righteous asshole of the first order) confirmed to him that they never had any intention of letting him do The Fade and that if he "wasn't a Witness, then we have nothing in common". What a wonderful self-righteous attitude eh? So he continues on. He not only continues to go to all the meetings, they've broken him to the point where he's now doing something he swore he never would: He goes out in Field Serve-Us to "keep them off my back." I figure it's only a matter of time before they make him re-join the Theocraptic Misery School if he hasn't already.

I do not believe in going back for family. That gives the WTS complete control over your entire life and lets them win. Yes, I can imagine it's hard living like that, but I'm a believer in "standing your ground". I know of many ex-Witnesses who stand their ground, and their JW families eventually seem to soften their stand (usually when they see that you're not going to cave to their demands). Witnesses need to learn to respect other people's beliefs---something that goes completely against what they're taught. IMO, if you go back, all they learn is that if they withhold their love long enough, errant family members who go astray will get so depressed that they'll do anything to keep their family, including going back to their bullshit lies. It's your choice of course, but I'm just telling you what I think.

All I know is that it's very hard and the mind control of this cult is far stronger than any normal family bond.

Your'e right it is. And unfortunately, your wife has displayed where her loyalty lies. One thing I would like to ask: How old are your kids? Are they small or grown? Have you ever tried to talk to your wife about why you no longer believe this is "the truth"? I did a project last year which can be very useful when trying to 'reason' with JW family and friends. If you like, I could either send you a hard copy, or you can download it for free here: http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/bible/mary-s-project-an-analysis-of-jehovah-s-witness-doctrine.html

Good luck.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

my husband cried when I was first fading.

Let nature be your guide - she disrupts calm peaceful waters and brings fresh growth with her. Or how about a volcano that rumbles under the surface and reminds everyone who lives in the vicinity not to become complacent. Make friends with the fact that you may always be a rumbler under the surface. I have found it quite satisfying to be busy with other stimulating stuff too to help me cope while rumbling away on/under the surface.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit