Rutherford in the WT PROMOTED a book inspired by a demon but agrees Book of Enoch

by EndofMysteries 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The book, Angels and Women, published in 1924.

I will give the information about 'that' aspect of it in a moment.

What I think is more important first though, the 'original' book was called ("Seola").

The appendix of the book says this (the first 2 paragraphs of 10 pages)" Seola is a fantasy, revealed to the writer while listening to the performance of an extraordinary musical composition. (wish they listed which one). It was sudden and unforeseen as the landscape which sometimes appears to a benighted traveller, for one instant only, illumined by the lightning's flash.

It does not therefore pretend to be either history or theology, but yet the theory upon which the story is founded is in strict accordance with the sacred writings of the Hebrews and traditions of other ancient nations. It may be briefly stated. "

Now the 1924, revised version, had changes to parts and names, etc, to agree with and go with the WT at that time.

I've purchased the 'original' Seola, and the 1924 comparision.

What I am writing about now, is based off the original Seola.

I noticed how a lot of what it stated agreed with the Book of Enoch. Which was not even translated into english till the mid 1800's, and not even discovered until late 1700's in Ethiopia. The dead sea scrolls also contain fragments of it.

After reading Seola, and if the Book of Enoch is an inspired lost book of the bible. It raises four questions.

1. Were the parts of Seola which agree with these ancient texts, from her having read and studied them, and put them all into a story.

2. Was she actually inspired by God? (The reviser of the 1924 revision, as well as Rutherford, they all thought it was a demon who inspired this, who was trying to repent, and that demons could be forgiven. They must have also had that conclusion, since the teaching is there is no 'inspiration' today. However A. The bible doesn't make that claim, infact Paul and early christians spoke of prophesying. B. While it could be, as demonic inspired utterances predicted too, if one thinks God doesn't inspire anymore, you'd have to conclude was from a demon, if your thinking is wrong. If that's the case though, then what exactly does getting holy spirit and understanding mean, if not inspired by God? )

3. Is this a demonic inspired expression, agreeing with Book of Enoch because that is fake as well, and will mislead.

4. When the bible predicted and speaks of Satan in control of the world, of "sealing up scrolls and prophecies" until the time of the end, is the finding of the Book of Enoch and things such as this, a key part to getting the full truth?

Bottom line, those who have read the Book of Enoch and think it might be inspired, I think may be interested in looking at this one as well. Researching it, brought up other books to possible check out too.

Now, back to the WT involvement of this. I have to find where I put the "Angels and Women" version, but that is only useful for determining where some current beliefs may have originated. The fact they actually felt that strong on this book though, and how I'm seeing a few of the beliefs have a lot of similarities but not identical from Book of Enoch, did they ever get light or just take from this.

The WT library if you research the Book of Enoch, they give the runaround. Saying how even though Jude quoted from it, whos to say that the book of Enoch was not written after, (or the copy we have of it), to make it look like that. Well since the discovery of the dead sea scrolls, it was prior to it.

The golden ages promotion of it though, disturbed readers, here's an old "Questions from readers about it:

Dec 3, 1924 Golden Age : "WE PRESENT some letters regarding this book (a review of which recently appeared in our column) which we feel sure will be of interest to our readers:

TO THE GOLDEN AGE:

Pardon me for taking this much of your time on what may be so simple a matter; but I was approached about going into a club to get a certain book called, "Angels and Women." I made some inquires, and was told that it was a book that a fallen angel dictated to a women, showing a desire to come back in harmony with God, and that Pastor Russell approved of the book. I had never heard of the book before; and as we are to shun anything akin to spiritism I should like to know positively whether the book has your approval before buying one; so if it is not asking to much would like a reply.

(Mrs. W. S. Davis, Los Angeles, Cal.

To THE GOLDEN AGE:

With much pleasure and profit has the book, "Angels and Women" been read by Truth friends. It contains much to encourage one to loyalty and faith in God.

Do you think that it would be a real service to purchase these books in quantities of ten or more copies at a time so as to get the special $1 per copy rate that you have so kindly secured for us, and thus to have them on hand as Christmas and birthday presents or for other gift occasions to give to our relatives and friends, whom we have been unable to otherwise interest in Present Truth or only slightly so? (it continues but that's the base of that one)

REPLY TO BOTH ABOVE LETTERS:

When Pastor Russell was here, he read a book dealing with conditions that obtained prior to the flood. He requested some other brethren to read it. It was so much in harmony with the bible account of the fallen angels that he regarded the book as remarkable. Under his supervidson it was "revised", and later published by one who was formerly his confidential associate. The new book is published under the title "Angel and Women". Scriptual citations are given. An appendix is added. Pastor Russell remarked that at some opportune time the book, revised, should be published.

As to it's being a violation of the Voew to read this book, such and idea is not worthy of consideration. It would be no more wrong to read it than to read "What say the Scriptures about Spiritism" or "Talking with the Dead"; for both these books quote much as to what the evil spirits do. Many have derived much benefit from reading "Angels and Women" because it aids in getting a clearer vision of how Satan overreached the angels and overreached the human race, and caused all the havoc amongst men and angels. It helps one to a better understanding of the devils organization."

END OF QUOTES

So there you have it. I think the original may be of note and it's appendix useful for those studying Book of Enoch and other lost books. Again make sure you get (Seola) and NOT Angels and Women if getting it for that reason.

On the WT side, I found it interesting they got letters about promoting a book THEY believe inspired by a demon, and the excuses they made for it. Yet there is NO EXCUSE if they say something is wrong.

Hope this post was useful. This is also NOT what I was talking about posting yesterday, that will be in the near future.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Also interesting, in the original, Lucifer and Satan appear to be different creatures. I have to recheck that.

As for ancient writings that some have said it agrees with, I've read Book of Enoch, but these others I had never heard of, I'm going to look into, but has anyone read these? Any input on them? They are "Haggada", "Mahabharata", early greek creation myths and "Book of Enoch."

• minimus
    minimus

interesting

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I am thoroughly familiar with 1 Enoch (which I was studied quite a bit) and I have closely studied Seola. I see no special literary connection between the two works. Although it is certainly possible since the ancient book was available already in an English translation. But Seola belongs to the 19th century genre of the antediluvian novel, with a touch of science fiction in it (the subplot involving the destruction of Wan Planet, which was edited out in the Angels and Women version).

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

(double post)

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Make sure you read the real one.

This one http://reluctant-messenger.com/1enoch01-60.htm

Both say the rebellious angels decended on Mt Hermon. (the same mount which Jesus "may" have ascended from, which seen Elijah and Moses conversing with him) That is a question I can't figure out and hope to get resolved.

• VM44
    VM44

"Under his [Russell's] supervison it was "revised", and later published by one who was formerly his confidential associate."

Does anyone know who this "confidential associate" was?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Right, I remember about the Mount Hermon thing, I did find that interesting and a probable case of influence (possibly not directly from the book itself but general knowledge about the book). But that is a pretty superficial parallel. Seola does not show much special dependence on 1 Enoch; it reads more as an imaginative reworking of Genesis 6-8 drawing more on 19th-century influences (e.g. Victorian mores, nascent science fiction, views on race, etc.), and on a wide assortment of ancient writings (as presented in the appendix). Bear in mind too that there is also indirect influence from 1 Enoch in Seola from the NT (which draws directly on 1 Enoch, see pp. 241-242 of Seola) Oh yeah, some of the more racialized aspects of Seola were edited out in Angels and Women; the book also systematically tried to make the book conform to the Isaac Vail "watery canopy" hypothesis that was popular among early 20th century Bible Students. From a literary perspective, I find the redaction practices evidenced in Angels and Women to be quite fascinating.

VM44....The book was published by Edward Brenneisen, a NYC Bible Student. I confirmed this by checking Manhattan phone directories.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

And yes, Seola is literarily a superior work to Angels and Women. I found it a much more engaging read than I was expecting.

• RR
    RR
    Does anyone know who this "confidential associate" was?

This is of course a crock. Nowhere in Russell's writings does he ever mention the book or the author. Consider also that Russell was totally against spiritism, in fact his views on spiritism are mentioned in THE VOW.

"I vow to Thee that I will be on the alert to resist everything akin to Spiritism and Occultism, and, remembering that there are but the two masters, I shall resist these snares in all reasonable ways as being of the adversary." - A VOW UNTO THE LORD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit