Possible Manifesto of the Texas Kamikaze

by SixofNine 146 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I just read in Gail Collin's NYTimes column that Stack had tried to have his house declared a church in another attempt to avoid taxes:

Andrew Joseph Stack III, the pilot, was a man with multiple hatreds, from Catholicism to unions, whose rage at the I.R.S. apparently began when the agency refused to allow him to declare his house a church for the purpose of avoiding taxes. And the end of the story is that he crashed a plane into a building, killing and injuring innocent people. Plus, he burned down his house. Where his wife and her daughter lived.

I'm sure we will be hearing more about this aspect of the tragedy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/opinion/20collins.html

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

O

The reason Stack was an orphan:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6876378.html

That was true even during Stack's years as an orphan at the Milton Hershey School in Pennsylvania. His father died when Stack was 5 years old, and his mother committed suicide two years later, so Stack and the other four children in the family were scattered about the state, said the sibling, who asked not to be identified.

My step-father and half brother both committed suicide. I did allot of research in those years on suicide. Forty percent of children that has a parent that committed suicide will commit it themselves no matter how well their life may be going.

edited to add: What the doctor told me that I was going to at the time told me...........You could have a doctor with a successful practice with a loving wife and family and it would not be enough to keep one from going on ahead and committing suicide if that what they had in their mind to do.

• beksbks
    beksbks

How many of them commit murder?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

God Beks, I don't know, I'm reaseaching this as much as I have time for,

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I will say this

In evaluations of people that can have a liscense to fly planes I think that asking if a parent committed suicide would be something that could be asked.

or own guns even. I don't know I'm thinking outloud.

purps

• beksbks
    beksbks

There's just no way we could deny someone these rights based on something thier parents did. I'm afraid most tragedies simply can not be prevented. I do find it unfortunate that his wife/wives didn't see any of this coming.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I don't think you would deny someone a liscense for a gun or to fly, just ask the question, maybe having that info will be useful if a redflag came up about the person.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I looked up some stuff on suicide/homicide rates. The only country that had an across the board stat that I could find is Canada at 8% suicides have a homocide.

The stats for US are all broken up in age groups and demographics and gun use.

I did find this interesting.http://www.jstor.org/pss/2574770

Abstract

An analysis of the suicide and homicide rates of 48 countries is made to determine whether national suicide and homicide rates, on the one hand, and the relation between the rates, on the other, are related to economic development. The research hypothesis was supported in the finding that suicide rates tend to be high and homicide rates tend to be low in countries of high economic development and that suicide rates tend to be low and homicide rates tend to be high in countries of low economic development. The evidence indicates that economic development-as measured by urbanization and industrialization-bears a fairly constant relation to the relative frequencies of suicide and homicide. It is thus concluded that suicide and homicide should be considered causally separate social phenomena.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I rather like this blogger's take on the whole thing:

My Heroes Have Always Been Idiots Hotlist

by Crashing Vor
    Sat Feb 20, 2010 at 07:27:32 AM PST

I don't find it that surprising that teabaggers have adopted Joe Stack as their "True American Hero" (a big attaboy to CBS News for correctly identifying Mr. Stack as a "domestic terrorist"). When your movement is led by the likes of Glenn Beck and Orly Taitz, you need all the fresh heroic figures you can get.

But Joe Stack? Failed husband, failed businessman, failed bass player and, now, failed mass murderer. A nobody, nebbish and a nincompoop.

A guy without sufficient neurons to understand that the California Franchise Tax Board, which revoked the licenses of two businesses he owned, and the federal Internal Revenue Service, are not the same agency.

In the immortal words of that great American Bugs Bunny, what a maroon.

After a moment's thought, however, their choice of new role model falls neatly into their preexisting pantheon. He'll fit nicely in the frame with the guy named Joe the Plumber who is neither, the half-term governor who proved that a winner never quits by quitting, and the legions of power-tied, blow-dried yammerheads reading their condemnations of teleprompters--from teleprompters.

The teabagger--oh, sorry, Tea Party--movement raises as its standard bearers the most mediocre of American wits, and its members justify their choice of mentors with a perverted sense of egalitarianism. Why are Palin, or the Joes Stack, Wilson and Plumber, inspiring? Why, because "they're just like me!"

I must be older school than I suspected. It's always been my understanding that heroes aren't just like me. They're better.

Why the heck would I emulate somebody like me? "He's great. He's old, tired, bitchy, fat, ill-educated and lazy. My hero!"

No, the point of heroes is to give us examples to aspire to. People who are smarter, stronger, more ethical and steadfast. People who we know aren't like us at all. People who stand as examples of what we might be if we'd only try harder and stop being such whiny babies.

Still, such zero-worship makes some sense. For people who want the highways without the speed limits, the war stories without the war taxes and the twelve tube socks for a dollar without the trade deficit, heroes which require nothing more than a cheer are the best kind.

They don't make you feel bad for not trying to be better.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Domestic terrorists. Stupid teabaggers didn't want to pay their taxes.

How to deal with domestic terrorists.

Another one. Damn gun and bible toting extremist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit