A JW's Exposition On WT's Beliefs on the Afterlife

by maputo95 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• maputo95
    maputo95

Hi All

My personal view on the nature of the soul and the afterlife are almost diametrically opposed to those of the WT. Below is my JW's friend justification for the WT belief that the dead are extinct and conscious of nothing. Please comment on the strength of the explanation he gives:

The dead are conscious of nothing.

He keeps all names in his book of life and knows everything about everyone.

That’s when he will call out their names and they will be resurrected – just like Lazarus was resurrected by Jesus

(Lazarus didn’t go to heaven for the 4 days he was dead and tell everyone about his experiences in heaven). Jesus resurrected him back to life fro the common grace (he was asleep in death)

Thank you

Ken

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

(Lazarus didn’t go to heaven for the 4 days he was dead and tell everyone about his experiences in heaven). Jesus resurrected him back to life fro the common grace (he was asleep in death)

First off the gospel account does not mentioning anything about what Lazarus said about what it was like when we was dead can hardly be used as proof. I'm sure Lazarus said lots of things afterwords not everything is recorded, he could have been singing like a canary, barking like a dog. the account isn't focused on him and what he said after coming back to life it's a very short story with no detailed narrative about what he said latter.

But I don't even believe the account is true there has never been anybody resurrected after being dead 4 days, it is a fairy tale and only the gullible believe it.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Maputo95.....are you an X-JW?

• maputo95
    maputo95

I am not an ex-JW but have been affected by family who were in the cult.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi maputo95

Here goes.

The dead are conscious of nothing.

Why does Paul say it is better to be absent/away from the body (physically dead James 2:26) and present with the Lord if one would be "conscious of nothing"? 2 Corinthians 5:62 Corinthians 5:8Philippians 1:23

Or consider those here, who were dead but had the gospel preached to them (clearly conscious) 1 Peter 4:6

Or Jesus' promise here Luke 23:42-44

The WT have twisted Ecc 9:5 out of context (read the very next verse Ecclesiastes 9:5-7)

He keeps all names in his book of life and knows everything about everyone.

No problem with this. Jesus is omnipotent and knows those who are in His book of life John 21:17John 16:30Revelation 21:27

That’s when he will call out their names and they will be resurrected – just like Lazarus was resurrected by Jesus

Everyone gets resurrected, the righteous and the unrighteous Acts 24:15Daniel 12:2Revelation 20:6

The bible is not explict where Lazarus was for four days. However, it is clear that his spirit left his body whilst he was dead, just like everyone else James 2:26

Blessings,

Stephen

• Mary
    Mary

We just had a big discussion on this topic a few days ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/188430/1/Immortal-Soul-Impossible

• maputo95
    maputo95

Thank you everyone. Mary, I'll follow the tread you mention.

• TD
    TD

Was anybody every bothered by the JW notion of resurrection?

The way it's been explained to me is that God creates a new body and puts the memories/personality of the departed in that body --which sounds much more like making a copy than bringing anything back.

If that's all there is to it, what would there be to prevent "God" from doing it while you were still alive?

JW's ridicule the notion of a "soul," but it does provide an element necessary for the concept of true resurrection.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Short answer:

Luke 16:22-23 (King James Version)

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

When Jehovah`s Witness`s die..

They stay Dead..

So theres no need to worry!..

........................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit