Please help me, I'm having a "discussion" with a JW in a chat room and. . .

by Ilovebirthdays 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I need help remembering a scripture. I'm sucessfully turning the conversation to the point where her answer is going to have to be something along the lines of the light keeps getting brighter and brighter, because we're discussing the "Generation" teaching changing multiple times and why that is, and I want to bring out a scripture something along the lines of "you will know they are false teachers because their prophecies often fail that the JW's use against other religions", but not only do I not know what Bible book, chapter and verse it is, I can't remember the correct wording to search it.

This site has already been a great help, because I've gotten her to flip flop her stance on the blood doctrine (first she told me fractions weren't allowed, and when I showed her they were, then she changed her tune, which caught the attention of others in there. I was able to get her to the point where she is flustered and waffling over the "Generation" teaching, which I was able to do thanks to the wonderful chart outlining all the flip flops that had been posted here, so thank you on those, but since I can't remember the scripture, I can't use the search function, because I can't remember what I'm talking about, as I've been out 13+ years, and didn't even keep my Bible.

If you know what I'm talking about, could you please help me figure out what I'm talking about?

• musky
    musky

Deuteronomy 18:20 maybe?

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

I think this is it Musky, a couple of verses down.

(Deuteronomy 18:22) 22 when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.. . .

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

No, I don't think I meant either one of those, but I really like the Deuteronomy 18:22 one. Is that the whole scripture?

Thank you both for your help. I got the "I have to go do some research, and I'll be back tomorrow" spiel from her, so hopefully she returns.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I remember reading in an old WT that it might look like their doctrines change but instead its like a ship tacking on the waves, and eventually getting there to the "right" understanding. the light always getting brighter.

So I like this bible verse:

• Ephesians 4:14
      Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming.
      Ephesians 4:13-15 (in Context) Ephesians 4 (Whole Chapter)
  • Will Power
    Will Power

here is the WT quot. This one is from 1981 - and I'm sure the same quote is in an older one as well.

*** Watchtower 1981 December 1 p.27 The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter ***

The Path of the Righteous Does Keep Getting Brighter

[…]

2 However, it may have seemed to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward. At times explanations given by Jehovah's visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case. This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as "tacking." By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds.

[Emphasis Added]

• Mary
    Mary

Ilovebirthdays: I put together a project for occassions just like you find yourself. Below is the link where you can download a free copy of it. Go to either the section on "new light" or "false prophecy" and I think you'll find some useful information:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/bible/mary-s-project-an-analysis-of-jehovah-s-witness-doctrine.html

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

Howdy,

"At times explanations given by Jehovah's visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view. But this has not actually been the case."

Explanations = doctrines

After 45 years in the WT I saw plenty of changes in doctrine. Previous points of view were returned to. Someone documented several flip-flops to the question of Sodom and Gommorah in the judgment.

God does not change his revelation to us does he?

Paul

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

Mary: I want to bang my head against a wall, because I've seen your guide before, and even bookmarked it, but I forgot. Thank you for putting in the time, and reminding me of it.

• alanv
    alanv

Ilovebirthdays it really does show what a great site this is where you can get questions answered and get ideas on how to speak to witnesses. Let us know how you get on, as I am sure we will all be interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit