My JW Friend's Justification for the WT Being God's Chosen Organisation

by maputo95 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Think About It
    Think About It

IN 1919, THE “2 DEAD WITNESSES WERE BROUGHT TO LIFE” (SYMBOLICALLY) AND STOOD UP AGAIN TO START THE WORLDWIDE PREACHING WORK AFTER BEING INACTIVE (IMPORISONED,ETC IN WW1)

THESE WERE THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE CLASS WHO WERE GIVEN THE COMMAND TO AWAKEN AND RE-STARTT THE BOLD WORLDWIDE PREACHING WORK - AS PROPHECIED IN REVELATION…

1919 WAS ALSO THE BEGINNING OF A TOTAL CLEAN BREAK FROM CHRISTENDOM AND HER BABYLONISH TEACHINGS AND DOCTRINES

That's probably the weakest claim a person could make for the WTS to be "God's Channel on Earth". Absolutely cannot be proved by the bible alone. The claim purely stands on because the WTS says it is.

Think About It

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Classic circular reasoning...makes me dizzy, and slightly nauseous.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

If the JWs were "chosen" in 1919, then Jesus must have been very convinced by their message.

Get a copy of "The Finished Mystery" (1918).

Jesus loved it. What better recomendation could there be. If your friend can get through that book and not see that Russell/Rutherford were batshit crazy, then he's a lost cause.

• bennyk
    bennyk

(Reworked old post [23. Oct. 2006]:)

W 01. April 1986 QfR:

Do we have Scriptural precedent for taking such a strict position? Indeed we do! Paul wrote about some in his day: "Their word will spread like gangrene. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of that number. These very men have deviated from the truth, saying that the resurrection has already occurred; and they are subverting the faith of some." (2 Timothy 2:17, 18; see also Matthew 18:6.) There is nothing to indicate that these men did not believe in God, in the Bible, in Jesus’ sacrifice. Yet, on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship.

This is most fascinating. When the F&DS was supposedly appointed in 1919, the Watch Tower Society was still teaching that the Resurrection had begun in 1878, a teaching the WTS now admits was false. According to the Watch Tower Society, the Lord thus appointed over all his belongings an organisation that (by its own published standard) would be 'rightly branded apostate, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship'!!!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Wobble said: Ask your friend to show you ONE unique and different teaching that they were promulgating in 1919, that they still hold to today,that would have persuaded Jesus,( who is not just a supporter of truth, but is THE Truth), to choose Rutherford's Bible Students .

This is the key. Don't expect, or even try, to convince your friend in one conversation. Put him to research in the WT publications. Act as if YOU WANT to know the answer to this question as an interested person. Send him off to do the research and tell him you'll do some digging on your own. Make plans for a return visit (lol) to get with him and share what you both found.

Even on this second discussion, do not expect him to give in. You will have shaken up the cobwebs and got him thinking, though. These things take YEARS for many people. Some fast track to be out in a few months, but that's more rare, IMO.

I still remember back in the early 90s when I was so annoyed with the borg for outright lying to the congregations about their motives for no longer charging money for literature. It was really 100% about NOT PAYING TAXES but they told the rank and file it was a loving provision from Jehovah to spread the good news to the poor more effectively or some other BS. Almost 20 years ago I first realized something wasn't right, but it took time for the seed to germinate and grow. It took a lot of looking back to wake me up about 1975 being a WT scam (even though my family lived through it as JWs).

Point being, I'm still not quite out, but mentally I am, finally, after decades of increasing doubt and finally intensified investigation over the past year. So be patient with your friend. Do the research project and have him do it as well. Take your time. And feign interest sometimes so that he doesn't become afraid of you.

• agonus
    agonus

"IN 1919, THE “2 DEAD WITNESSES WERE BROUGHT TO LIFE” (SYMBOLICALLY) AND STOOD UP AGAIN TO START THE WORLDWIDE PREACHING WORK AFTER BEING INACTIVE (IMPORISONED,ETC IN WW1)

THESE WERE THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE CLASS WHO WERE GIVEN THE COMMAND TO AWAKEN AND RE-STARTT THE BOLD WORLDWIDE PREACHING WORK - AS PROPHECIED IN REVELATION…

1919 WAS ALSO THE BEGINNING OF A TOTAL CLEAN BREAK FROM CHRISTENDOM AND HER BABYLONISH TEACHINGS AND DOCTRINES"

The WT claims to follow the Bible and the Bible alone.

If this is the case, using the Bible and the Bible alone, provide Scriptural backing for the above statements.

• TD
    TD

In 1919, the Bible Students were teaching that the first resurrection had ocurred in 1878. This did not change until 1927.

By The Watchtower's own definition, that would have been "Apostasy" of the worst sort --The same as Hymenaeus and Philetus (2 Tim 2:17)

"Yet on this one basic point, what they were teaching as to the time of the resurrection, Paul rightly branded them as apostates, with whom faithful Christians would not fellowship." (The Watchtower April 1, 1986 p. 31)

• agonus
    agonus

There was a post not too long ago about a Witness' response to the challenge that Jesus could not have chosen them in 1919 on the basis of what they were teaching - since virtually everything they taught in 1919 has been discarded. The reasoning was that they may have been wrong at the time but their heart condition was right and they were the only ones willing to discard their beliefs if they discovered new "truths".

• besty
    besty

can we someone paste that entire QFR April 1986 from the CD-ROM please

• agonus
    agonus

"the resurrection has already occurred"

You know what, not too long ago - within the last couple of years - there was a WT article that suggested that the resurrection of the anointed to heaven may have begun 1919... an "interesting possibility" since it had been 3 1/2 years since late 1914. I'll have to look for that article. Anybody have the download link for the latest Library CD-ROM?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit