I learned to read with Dick and Jane and Sally. How about you?

by Fatfreek 38 Replies latest jw friends

• jdhf
    jdhf

thanks nel! :)

• nelly136
    nelly136

bakelite phones, i've got two tucked away in my house somewhere alas not the cradle kind but big clunky office ones that just had a lone of buttons across the middle and twisted rope holding the receiver that takes two hands to hold.

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I recall seeing those growing up, but I don't have any specific memories of using them to learn to read.

Oh, I remember the Dick and Jane books well. Each hard cover was differently colored -- yellow, blue, red, etc. -- depending on how advanced it was. Being in a single-room schoolhouse where grades 1 thru 3 were seated together, it became obvious which students were more advanced depending on the color of their book cover.

Len

• recovering
    recovering

I am so old , that I learned to read using the rosetta stone.

stonr

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/kent/hi/people_and_places/arts_and_culture/newsid_8488000/8488010.stm tony harts display is on till the 28th feb.

yup the programmes were pretty cool back then, i used to watch telly round my grandparents cos we didnt have one in our house,

my dad finally relented and we got our first clunker black and white redifusion set with the dial on the wall, got radio on the bottom letters and

3 channels of programmes with the test card girl sitting in front of her blackboard before the programmes were due to start.

• nelly136
    nelly136

200 dollars for those books?

can get our old lady bird books on ebay for pennies to a couple of quid.

• Terry
    Terry

I sat in my grandmother's lap as she read the book in front of us. She moved her finger from word....to....word AS SHE READ.

I learned to read the WORD. I never "sound it out". I just saw the WORD and spoke it aloud.

I was reading by age 2.

In school, at age 6, we had the Dick and Jane books and it was as boring as hell for me because I could read anything by then.

There are a great many proponents of sounding out the letters. But, simply seeing a word and recognising it has a lot going for it as well; main, there are no intermediate steps involved!

I have a soft place in my heart for the achingly boring DICK and JANE books.

I pretended to learn by reading them and the teacher praised me no end for learning so quickly.

• greenhornet
    greenhornet

Wow that brings back memories. Look up up I do remeber that. They were looking at Father behind the bush.

Now that is recall memory at work.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew how to read before I was 5. Learned from newspapers and magazines (not WTs) and the labels on food. I created a stir the first day of school...

• yknot
    yknot

My mom believed strongly in early learning so from for the first two years.... Learn to Read and Write...WTBTS Penn http://www.sendspace.com/file/wp8v54

When I entered private Pre-K (age 3) they used the Keys to Reading Series featuring "Pug", "Zip Pop and Go" and "Dot and Jim"

"Pug" now retails at $123 on Amazon......LOL I still have mine and both my kiddos used it too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit