For how long can they massage the figures ?

by leo999 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Developing countries and immigration to industrialized countries continue to provide excellent growth.

The more screwed up the world is, depressed economy, violence, pollution, etc. the more appealing the "Kingdom Message" is.

There will be a "sifting" and slow, steady growth.

That and $2.00 will get you a small house coffee from your local barista.

om

• nelly136
    nelly136

oh yup their numbers arnt easily verifiable, scientologists also seem to be loose with their count.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    But just how long can the propping up of numbers happen for , before the real downward slide starts ?

The Watchtower will stop publishing detailed statistics before their eventual decline.

You can argue that publishing growth stats is irrelevant now. The stats used to serve primarily 2 purposes: (1) show that the message was being preached throughout the globe and (2) indicate the dwindling number of anointed as proof that Armageddon was just around the corner.

No. 1 is irrelevant now because the GB has already arbitrarily decided that Matthew 24:14 has been fulfilled. No. 2 is irrelevant because the 1935 sealing of the anointed date has been dropped so as to allow for "new anointed" at any time; the dwindling number of anointed is no longer a sign of Armageddon's imminence.

My guess is that the WT will soon stop publishing the detailed annual report in favor of highlighting (cherry picking) selected statistics to prove whatever point it is they're seeking to establish. In fact, they have already taken steps in that direction in the monthly Kingdom Ministry.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

I always used to laugh when they would read out the convention attendance and the figure would end in a 1 (eg, 8,501). Cue: applause and gentle ripple of laughter over the 1 and then the chairman makes a joke thanking that 1 for attending).

Having worked in the attendant department and being anal about carrying out the privilege to do the “count”, I was shocked when the brother overseeing the dept would make a lot of “guestimates” for different areas of the count. It was an in-joke between him and his sidekick that they would always come up with an odd number to finish off the attendance figure, either the 1 or 99 or 69!

I was in a cong where the secretary would always “fill out” the report cards of those who never reported on time, just making a guesstimate based on previous reports (that he had filled in for them).

What I don’t understand is, why would Jehovah punish the Israelites for undertaking a census yet approve the wtb$ for doing exactly the same thing?

Also, when there is an increase, its put down to being a blessing from Jehovah. Yet when there is no increase or a decrease, it’s not considered being a sign of Jehovah’s disapproval of the org, but blame is put on the local bro & sis for not being zealous enough!

Mattieu...

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

.....they could print articles explaining all this as some great 'sifting' that leaves only Jehovah's true Witnesses remaining right before Armaggedon.

I guess they will just forget that Jah is supposed to speed up the work (new ones coming in) before the time of the end to save as many as possible.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    .....they could print articles explaining all this as some great 'sifting' that leaves only Jehovah's true Witnesses remaining right before Armaggedon.

Exactly. In an organization where someone can stand on a platform holding a green platform saying that if the GB told him it was green, he would believe it, they can say whatever the hell they like.

• teel
    teel
    The more screwed up the world is, depressed economy, violence, pollution, etc. the more appealing the "Kingdom Message" is.

Interrestingly enough, we now live in an economic recess. I see no sign of the "message" to be better received... even that advantage has dried up it seems.

I was shocked when the brother overseeing the dept would make a lot of “guestimates” for different areas of the count.

I always suspected that... given that our district convention was organized in an open stadium, under the 40C (100F) scorching sun, most attendants were hidden under umbrellas, making counting impossible. So I always wondered how can they come up with exact numbers? And there were always dozens of people walking around on the outside, going to the loo, refreshing in shadow... they could be counted twice or not at all.

• Heaven
    Heaven

When I was a teenager and I was told that the JWs counted their time going door-to-door and that a 'field service report' had to be filled out and submitted, my bull sh!t detector went off. This was another little tidbit that added to my suspicions that this was just a corporation selling God and not a spiritual organization of truth. There is no way God needs a 'field service report'. This is strictly required for man.

• leo999
    leo999

A lot of replies here . I was always puzzled about the importance that the society put on numbers , I mean who really cares a lot about hours , except for the burden of having to get ones hours in ! And in anycase , these hours will most likely be grossly inflated , inaccurate anyway .No one will round their hours down , always up to look better , so the whole thing is a falsehood .

In anycase , shouldn't the society who prides themselves on following Bible principles , reflect on the account in 2 sam 24 .David counted all of the nation in a census , and although he realised he had sinned and appologized , he was given a choice of 3 punishments . Jehovah 's angel struck down 70,000 people by pestilence ! So , what does one glean from that ? That strength is not in numbers , nor should our reliance be on people .

It would seem also on reflecting on Gideon 's 300 men used , that small numbers of loyal people are more important to Jehovah .Surely it cannot be right to boast in numbers .

But they do change and make it easy now . Many years ago , it was 175 hours for a special , 100 for a regular pioneer , and 75 for a 'vacation pioneer' .Those hours were hard to get in !

Im thinking that apart from more hour reductions for pioneers , there isnt alot more they have left as wiggle room . It will certainly be interesting if there is a big drop in the next year or two , to see if they pull all publishing of any year totals !

Leo999

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit