What else is there?

by dig692 14 Replies latest jw friends

• dig692
    dig692

I am beginning to question the existence of a Christian God, or any God for that matter, but I also can't quite commit to believing in evolution. So where does that leave me? What other theories are there?

I don't know if I can simply just say we're here by some unknown or can't-be-explained cause. But "God" doesn't make sense to me. I have tried to read the Bible but there are so many contradictions and unanwered questions, and the old 'the Bible is inspired of God because it says so" doesn't work for me. I can't say that I have ever felt a connection to God or that my prayers have been answered. I have never felt a peace from God when times are tough. And if I did and just don't remember, how can I be sure it wasn't just my mind screwing with me because I really wanted an answer?

At the same time, trying to understand how all plants and animals in existence came from a single cell billions of years ago seems just as far-fetched. Where did that one cell come from? Why is Earth the only planet that anyone has found where this has happened? What makes some organisms evolve but not others?

I guess I'm just looking for an answer. Maybe there isn't one, but why do I feel the need to look for one anyway?

Anyone else feel this way? How did you come to a realization that what you believe in (an Almighty God, many Gods, no God, evolution, aliens...etc) makes sense and is satisfying to you?

-Dig

• shamus100
    shamus100

Buddism - you ever study it?

How about Judaism?

I bet you haven't seriously studied either, and maybe they are worth a serious look - not just internet b.s. either.

Isn't it nice to be able to question and make up your own mind like a big boy / girl? Enjoy your journey.

• Eiben Scrood
    Eiben Scrood

I understand what you're saying and have many of the same questions.

• dig692
    dig692

Shamus-yes it is nice to have my mind back

Buddhism has always interested me though I haven't taken the time to really study it. Might be a good place to start. Thanks for the suggestion.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

A majority of Christians have accepted evolution. It doesn't have to be Evolution or Christianity. It can be both.

A good example of a committed Christian who has accepted Evolution is Francis Collins.

You may enjoy this:

http://biologos.org/questions/science-and-religion/

(Naturally, evolution rules out certain versions of a Christian God, such as one who created man, less than 10,000 years ago.)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Try Last-Thursday-ism on for size. Seriously. Google it.

...or perhaps The Church of the Sub-Genius has what you're looking for.

Feel free to write your own story and set yourself up at the pointy top of the pyramid. People are waiting for you to lead them. Many of them are HOT! They'll give you everything -EVERYthing - if you just pat them on the head and promise them 5 acres and a chicken in your kingdom.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I'll never understand why people accept christ as the only form of religion. The only reason why it's so prevalent is because of where you were born, not because of any so-called truth.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

try

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan W. Watts

or

The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality by Joseph Chilton Pearce

or

Super Consciousness: The Quest for the Peak Experience by Colin Wilson

or

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle

you can find any of these for sale USED at Amazon if you want to keep the cost down.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've been thinking about starting my own religious group.

We will be "The Uniquely True Crutch of Christ".

We start with free men and turn them into cripples.

PM me for details!

• escape-artist
    escape-artist

how about going back to school...mabey even taking some courses in theology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit