Don't ask questions

by linp24 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cattails
    cattails

This is something that did happen in a bookstudy I attended for years, my father was

the M.S. assistant back then.

There was this bookstudy conductor who was in his late 30's early 40's, and was a

school teacher by trade. He did encourage questions from the friends at the bookstudy.

And he'd have the other people in the bookstudy take shots at answering the extra

question presented, when it was something totally unrelated to the paragraphs, just

something that came to mind, he'd write down the question and bring it up at the end

of the study for the friends to take shots at answering. People loved the study, they'd

show up from other bookstudies, there were only 16 regularly assigned and the number

went to 27, 32 depending on the week.

Sometimes this conductor would say aloud he didn't quite understand something himself and had

to do extra research--he was very fond of bringing printouts from older publications that touched

on the subject. I remember going through the 2 volume Isaiah series, and Daniel, and then

too the Revelation book, the newly revised edition. He had a sister who only had an old copy

and didn't want to use a new one read the part that had been changed fro the original reading

for comparison.

I think he got in trouble with the neo-Nazi Service Overseer who came over to inspect the

bookstudy. He got demoted as Bookstudy Conductor/Overseer and another brother was

brought in who was a born-in, son of the oldest pioneer alive in the region, a person who

just read the questions from the book and wouldn't even acknowledge you gave an answer,

just called on the next hand. Everything was so boring after that. At first people in the bookstudy

would still ask the older elder questions about the study material, but he started referring us

to the new conductor. It wasn't the same bookstudy anymore, and the number went to about

11 to 14 most weeks.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I was told by an elder that my questions were "borderline apostate Sister" and it was suggested that I stop asking them...through smiles of course. I looked up in the literature why we always encourage others to "be like the Bereans" and test everything that was told to them against the scriptures to see if it was true. And they wrote that Bereans WERENT CHRISTIANS YET and so were still allowed to ask. But ONCE YOU ARE A JW you should have moved away from asking ANY questions or TESTING anything you read or heard and if you do research ON the literature then you are "looking for error" and therefore are doubting Jehovah, the Slave, The Society, the whole organization and you are a spiritual endangerment and an apostate.

Srsly??

• linp24
    linp24

Thank you EVERYONE for your responses. Very helpful -- and fascinating to a non-dub.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

Watchtower, March1,2006, "...You can not ask argumentive questions that would challenge the authority of those who teach."

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

my experience is from the perspective of someone not raised in the org and w/o any previous connection and I was in my thirties so at first I asked alot of questions and it was ok. I didn't realize this situation would end. as time goes on you find yourself just going along unquestioning w/o realizing its happening. like being in a pot of water and the temp keeps going up and you don't notice till the pain begins and that's what happens. one day you find yourself bored and uninspired and you start getting that feeling thats something is wrong then you ask questions and start talking and people start getting uncomfortable around you and than the inquisition begins and you are summoned and in your attempt to settle the issue once and for all you do a massive research and what you discover sends you out the door for good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit