Englewood Hospital Gets $4.6 million to develop bloodless Medicine

by purplesofa 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YptRya2-ihg

Englewood Hospital to train military, others in bloodless surgery techniques Friday, January 29, 2010
    LAST UPDATED: SATURDAY JANUARY 30, 2010, 12:07 AM BY MARY JO LAYTON THE RECORD STAFF WRITER

Englewood Hospital and Medical Center will receive nearly $4.7 million in federal funding to train military and civilian physicians in bloodless surgery and other medical procedures, Rep. Steve Rothman and hospital officials announced Friday.

The hospital’s Institute for Patient Blood Management & Bloodless Medicine and Surgery has treated 50,000 patients and trained nearly 100 physicians, both military and civilian from the U.S. and internationally. Hundreds more will be trained with the grant, officials said.

Bloodless medicine appeals to many doctors because it carries low risk of post-operative infection when compared with procedures requiring transfusions. It can also be useful during times of war or natural disasters when blood supplies are low or unavailable, said Dr. Aryeh Shander, executive medical director of the institute.

“Englewood Hospital is truly a national leader in this field and therefore worthy of being funded by the Defense Department to teach the entire U.S. military about bloodless medicine,’’ said Rothman, a member of the House Appropriations Defense Sub-committee.

“I’m very proud we were able to get this included in the defense budget,’’ Rothman said. “It not only saves lives and helps alleviate suffering for our military personnel and veterans, it will also save federal tax dollars.’’

Rothman toured the institute a few years ago and later introduced Shander to U.S. defense experts to explain the advantages of bloodless medicine: in addition to better outcomes, the practice saves money because fewer blood products are needed, Shander said.

“The process of blood management is extremely doable,’’ Shander said.

Since the program’s inception at Englewood in 1994, the hospital has reduced the use of blood by close to 50 percent by various techniques used in surgery and for other medical procedures.

For example, patients with a low blood count don’t need to be automatically transfused, Shander said. There are many other ways to treat anemia. Additionally, a patient’s blood can be collected during surgery, cleansed and re-infused.

The federal funding will also teach nurses and other professionals bloodless medicine and requires participants to monitor their progress.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Thanks for posting. I think this is a good thing. It's good to have viable options and, clearly, improving those options benefits all sorts of patients, not just JWs.

The Director of Patient Blood Management and Bloodless Medicine at this hospital is in my original congregation and still a friend of my sister. The director is female. (Funny that a woman can be a director of a medical program and healthcare professionals respect her input and advice, but she is still not qualified to handle mics, work the literature counter or give a talk on the platform unless accompanied by a human prop.)

-Aude.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

bttt

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

Shame no action on this important thread. I know a jw that had bloodless surgery at this hospital as per jw rules. He called me from the hospital to ask why I didn't come and visit. I said I'm not driving all the way to englewood , when we have some of the best hospitals within a few miles. then I asked SO WERE ARE ALL YOUR JW FRIENDS? I have to say I sorry he didn't bleed to death, this jw did nothing but drive me crazy for many years...

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Not that I am opposed to it at all, but I wonder how much this will help to keep from transfusions being awarded in court.

I think this funding is a piece of information we all need to be aware of and how the witnesses could use it to their advantage.

purps

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

good point Purple; But I think someone should write this Congressman, I wouldn't be surprised if the WTS LOBBY IN CONGRESS had something to do with this. Any posters here REMEMBER the wts lobby'S of the GOV'T? but the wts is neutral???????????? BULL$HIT . I'm still sad posters here are more concerned about how bro $hit-stain farted in bro. faders face and made his wife wash his panties. and bro minustomus lets elders crap on his 85 year old mom. I would never let the jw's pull that kind of stuff on me. back to the blood issue I will call this congressman tomorrow and give his office a piece of my mind. nice find PURPLE to bad noone is interested here.. johncip

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

maybe i should have sensationalized the topic

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

i WENT ON YOUTUBE AND POSTED even tho I miss spelled I think I got my point across more should and post on youtube as the jw's are posting that bloodless surgery is from jehovah and saving all jw;s and next i'm going to NY1 AND BLAST THEM FOR THEIR BULLS4hit

• judge rutherFRAUD
    judge rutherFRAUD

anyone interested can call NY1 NEWS and ask for Ali Rosen and question how biased this article was in how blood surgery saves jw's lives call 212-691-6367

• carla
    carla

a patient’s blood can be collected during surgery, cleansed and re-infused-- Is this allowable per jw rules?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit