John 9:38 in NWT renders it as formerly blind man "did obeisance" to Jesus. Other translations state he,"worshiped Jesus". Who's right?

by miseryloveselders 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments on this thread. I've been going through them, and it appears I've got a lot to research, but the posts here have given me some leads. I feel as if I'm starting all over again in regards to my faith. Kind of scary, yet exhilarating at the same time. I bought a book called Early Christian Beliefs by a David Bercot. While breezing through it I happened to catch the verse in question. I want to say it was maybe Tertulian who was quoted along with this verse, but to see "worship" related to Jesus caught me completly unawares. At first I thought it maybe was a typo. So what do you expect I would do? Grab the nearest NWT Bible to refute this typo. Then I see the word "obeisance". The JW side of me was satisfied, but it wasnt enough to settle the suspicious side of me thats been developing for the past few years. I have a newer KJ version at home, so I grabbed that, and saw the word "worship" utilized. So here I am. What a life.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello MLE,

Cool! Glad to help.

You see now why the WT want to keep JWs away from "apostate" material. Ultimately it shows that they are the ones who have fallen away and are following a different gospel.

Anyhow, let the Holy Spirit be your guide and you will exhilarated again.

Look forward to more threads :)

Blessings,

Stephen

• TD
    TD

In modern English, "Obeisance" (NWT) "Homage" (Darby) "Bowed" (YLT) is a technically correct translation.

The word, "Worship" in modern English has acquired a very narrow meaning (i.e. Reverent honor paid to God) that doesn't really correspond to the broader meaning of the word in the Jamesian English of the AV and certainly does not correspond to the semantic range of meaning in ancient Greek.

This has been discussed on B-Greek ad-nauseaum. In the ancient Middle East, prostrations were common in all walks of life between persons of different rank and the verb proskuneo even came to have a colloquial meaning equivalent to a kiss or embrace. This is much more apparent in the LXX than it is in the GNT:

autos de proelthen emprosthen auton kai prosekunesen epi ten gen

But he (Jacob) advanced himself before them (Esau and his 400 men) and bowed to the ground (Gen 33:3)

..exelthen de Mouses eis sunantesin to gambro autou kai prosekunesen...

..and Moses went forth to meet his father-in-law and bowed down... (Exodus 18:7)

..kai epesen epi proswpon autes kai prosekunesen epi ten gen.

..and she (Ruth) fell upon her face and bowed to the ground (to Boaz) (Ruth 2:10)

kai Dauid aneste apo tou ergab kai epesen epi proswpon autou kai prosekunesen auto tris

..and David rose from the argab and fell upon his face and bowed down three times (To Jonathan) (1 Samuel 20:41)

...tote o basileus Nabouchodonosor epesen epi prosopon kai to Daniel prosekunese..

...Then Nebebuchadnezzar the king fell upon his face and bowed to Daniel..(Daniel 2:46)

Like HappyGuy said, quibbling over this word is silly. I could say, "All praise belongs to God" or I could say, "Praise your dog when he has done well" and I would be talking about two very different things. It would be up to the listener to decide for themselves exactly what degree of reverence the word expressed in each instance.

Similarly, when a modern translator chooses the word, "Worship" over "Obeisance" they are making a decision that they have no business making in a literal translation. That decision really belongs to you, the reader.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hello TD,

I think the issue is not the word that is used in the translation of proskuneo but rather the inconsistency in the NWT when the word appears in respect of Jesus and the Father. There is no reason why they should change the translation like this but they do so on their own doctrinal bias.

Blessings,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit