Jazz great John Dankworth passes away

by designs 4 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

What a great career and sound he developed over the decades. He worked with the best, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, wrote the Avengers theme and so much more.

He and his wife, Cleo Laine, were really something to see in concert. I saw them here in the States over 3 decades. Cleo's 'The Streets of London' with John on Sax was a highlight of their concerts.

To the family- love, joy and peace

• Gordy
    Gordy

Sorry to hear about that.

Condolences to Cleo and the family.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

R I P John Dankworth.....

I always wanted to get down to his gig venue at Wavendon, not a million miles from here (sigh)

He was one of the greatest...

• Dagney
    Dagney

Just saw them on the Jools Holland show not too long ago. It might have been recorded a few years back. Cleo sounded and looked great, and her husband faithfully playing alongside. I was into jazz as a teen because of my older brother, and I have the vinyl from way back when. RIP John, and may Cleo and family have comfort during this sad time.

• LeeT
    LeeT

Indeed, with the deaths of George Melly, Humphrey Lyttleton and now John Dankworth a generation of great jazz musicians and characters is passing into fond memory. Such a shame I'll never get to see any of them live now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit