If you could play any instrument what would it be?

by restrangled 44 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have played the piano my entire life and never learned another....I so wish I could play the guitar. I would trade my piano in a minute for a good guitar and lessons.

How about you?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What do you think of the teaching style of "The Piano Guy" that has the one hour show on PBS? He advertises something like learning to play piano very quickly just by learning chords. It's been a while since I saw his show, but maybe you know who I am talking about.

Restrangled, what do you think is easiest way to learn piano for a beginner who just wants to play for enjoyment and is not interested in becoming a concert pianist? Is there one method better than others? Faster? Easier?

• PYRAMIDSCHEME
    PYRAMIDSCHEME

I play guitar but have always wanted to learn the violin.

• Farkel
    Farkel

piano.

Farkel

• chickpea
    chickpea

bagpipes!!

you either love '
    em or hate 'em
    and i love 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n9hbYwZZqk

• restrangled
    restrangled

Cameod...this is my experience and others may tell you differently.

I started playing when I was 5 years old. I learned by my love of music from my heart, and picked my favorites. I memorized my favorite music. Chopin, Debussy, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Satie, Lizt, etc. I hated Bach, Handel, etc.

I still listen to the masters and try to mimic what they have played....I learn more listening than I ever did from teachers.

I am a horrible sight reader....infact I can't do it. I memorize, and then play not so much by memory but by feeling. It's like typing.

There is never a quick way to learn piano. It is imperitive that you learn the scales first, if you are going to play the masters, your fingers have to be limber and fly over the keys. I use to practice 5 hours a day.

There is no "quick" way, but if you have the drive, and love of music....it will eventually click in. Follow your heart and your favorite music.

Chords, are for rock, military marches etx.

Fluid break ups of these chords from the masters are beautiful on the piano. Get your fingers flying on the keys...you can do anything.....and always play with your heart.

Hope this helps.

• keeshondgirl
    keeshondgirl

I love to play my piano, drums, and trumpet. I am slowly teaching myself to play the flute. I would love to learn to play the guitar and I always fancied the accordian.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Cameod...I memorized and can play all 12 pages of this...but NOT LIKE THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I can pick out melodies and "play by ear" a little. I used to do that on friends piano. I wish I could really play piano; I enjoy picking out the tunes. But not enough time in this life to give it serious attention. Too many other things going on to give it any priority. Guess I will have to wait for the 1000 year deal. (not.)

• Farkel
    Farkel

restrangled,

You're talking about the Chopin Opus 66? The one in C# minor with the 4-against-3 rhythm and the middle part in D flat major which was bastardized into the popular song "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows?"

Never heard of it.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit