Gideon--He Questioned Jehovah

by sd-7 13 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

It is common, as a thought-stopping mechanism amongst Jehovah's Witnesses, to use phrases like "don't question Jehovah" or "don't question the organization". Often, as evidenced in a recent Watchtower study article, Biblical examples are given like that of Diotrephes, who opposed John in the first century, or Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, who questioned Moses' authority and were barbecued in the wilderness. These are pointed to as examples of those who questioned Jehovah and suffered condemnation or even death as a result.

These examples, however, ignore the very real presence of faithful men in the Bible who did indeed question Jehovah. They did so, not out of arrogance or presumptuousness or thinking that they knew more than Jehovah, but out of sincere concern for reality, for truth, for God's will to be done. One example is found in the Israelite judge Gideon. In Judges chapter 6, which I encourage you to read for yourself, the Israelites are in bad shape. The Midianites are oppressing Israel to the point where even their food is being taken away by force.

It was in this terrible situation that, as Gideon himself was hiding food from Midian, Jehovah's angel comes to him, as written in Judges 6:12, 13: "Then Jehovah's angel appeared to him and said to him: "Jehovah is with you, you valiant, mighty one." At this Gideon said to him: "Excuse me, my lord, but if Jehovah is with us, then why has all this come upon us, and where are all his wonderful acts that our forefathers related to us, saying, 'Was it not out of Egypt that Jehovah brought us up?' And now Jehovah has deserted us, and he gives us into the palm of Midian."

Do you notice what happened here? Gideon questioned the validity of Jehovah's words. He questioned Jehovah. Why did he do so? Because the real, tangible evidence in front of him said to him, there is just no way Jehovah is with Israel! He asked a real, sincere question, based on the evidence that was right in front of him.

What was Jehovah's reaction? Did he summarily reject Gideon for 'challenging his channel of communication'? No. Instead, he provided guidance and encouragement. In verses 36-40 of chapter 6, Gideon TWICE asks for tangible proof that God was with him. Jehovah TWICE provided him with such proof, AGAIN not rejecting him for questioning whether or not God was backing him up.

Gideon, as we have been taught, was a humble, righteous man, used mightily by Jehovah, if I may invoke Watchtower language here. Yet, Gideon questioned Jehovah. As a result, he was provided with faith-strengthening evidence of Jehovah's backing, not condemnation for having a 'complaining, fault-finding spirit'.

So then, the question for Jehovah's Witnesses today is simple: if you follow Gideon's example by questioning the Watchtower Society's teachings, based on evidence you find, what will be the consequence for you? Will you be given faith-strengthening evidence, especially if you question such teachings repeatedly? Or will you be labeled as no different than Korah, Dathan, and Abiram? Well. Try it. See what happens. But thousands can testify to the fact we already know the answers to those questions.

It is possible for much good to come from questioning Jehovah. God's Word itself shows us that we need not be afraid of doing so. If you are afraid, then another question should come to mind: is something wrong with you, or is something wrong with the organization you belong to? Food for thought.

SD-7

• pixiesticks
    pixiesticks

Thank you for this SD. I'll certainly be using Gideon as an example when I openly question docterine with Witnesses. This might be a good ice-breaking thought on the path to getting some of my Witness friends out.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Gideon even went a step further than "questioning," he wanted PROOF that what he was doing was right. Why should we settle for less?

Hell, I want PROOF that You exist God, I want PROOF that the Bible is your word. Make me turn green tomorrow morning. If I turn green, I'll know you exist.

• sir82
    sir82

You can "question Jehovah" all you want.

"Questioning the Governing Body", on the other hand, is the most heinous sin one man is capable of.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    SD7 It is possible for much good to come from questioning Jehovah. God's Word itself shows us that we need not be afraid of doing so. If you are afraid, then another question should come to mind: is something wrong with you, or is something wrong with the organization you belong to? Food for thought.

I love the topic and your opening post.

Yes, questioning God is good. The Jews believe it is a requirement to question God and to even have a good argument with him--to let him know you are not pleased with the situation at hand.

Too bad the gb isn't as approachable.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

Quite a few bible characters asked doubtful questions to Jehovah and HE condescended and gave proof. Like with Abraham and the case of Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham questioned whether God could be more leanant in his judgement against the cities if righteous people were found in them.

You can NOT question ANYTHING the Governing Body says or you're not being a "faithful footstep follower"... you can't even question the Elders. remember NONE of these supposed sheperds are divinely inspired, but you cross them or disagree with them and you're toast. They might do this out of spite, or heartlessness, but its just how the arrangement is setup.

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

I whole heartedly agree!

I didn't know the story of Gideon, so thank you for presenting it. The example I always think about is Abraham pleading with Jehovah over Sodom & Gommorah. He is basically questioning the appropriateness of the action, and negotiating with God! I find it a precious example because, Abraham is referred to later as "Jehovah's Friend." And, like any good friendship, Jehovah's communication with Abraham was open, honest, sincere. He allowed himself to be examined, even by a human. And he did not scold, punish or react in any negative way to the questioning. He realized that Abraham's motives were sincere and that he was doing it out of concern, or anxiety, etc.

Depending on the motive of the person, intellectual questioning is no different. I for one, do not question in order to blame, manipulate or simply prove the organization wrong. In fact, I think they have a lot of things right. At this point for me, I question the hei rarchy and bureaucracy that is increasingly in place.

I understand the need to organize, and the bigger the group, the more organization is required. But, the way things are at this point are so far off from the house churches that existed up until the 4th century (lead mostly by women, by the way) and the tolerance shown by Jesus for others, that I am very concerned that JW are not ending up to be a false prophet.

I have been thinking much about this, and weighing the cost of staying in verses going out. It has brought to mind the parable about the Wheat and the Weeds. I think JWs always have applied those to churches, or religious organizations. But what if it was really discussing individuals, like the Sheep and Goats parable? Does that mean that God will sift us individually, so that a "true" christian could be catholic, jw, or some other label??

My rumblings for the morning. Thanks for listening.

DS

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Good example!

Another one who questioned jehovah was abram when god wanted to destroy sodom and gomora and he said 'what if 10 righteous people can be found?'

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

SD: I am, again, quite taken with your evidence and style...thank you.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Great post, SD!

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." -- Mark Twain

So, if you'd like to keep your faith, you might want to keep your questions to yourself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit