This good news of the kingdom

by sd-7 21 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

If you'll open your 'Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education' books to page 279, you'll notice that it says, "The message Jesus said would be preached in our time goes beyond what was preached in the first century." If you actually opened your books, I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty close to the actual quote.

I remembered this quote from sometime ago, but couldn't understand how people overlooked this obvious violation of Galatians 1:8: "Even though we or an angel out of heaven should declare to you as good news something beyond what we preached, let him be accursed."

Of course, the answer is obvious: many JWs don't pay attention to what they read. If they did, they might notice little things like that. It's actually not their fault. Because the way the Society manages to dodge Galatians 1:8 is rather ingenious. It's by using what the YouTube video dude known as 'propagandatechniques' referred to as a 'hypnotic bait and switch'. By saying that 'Jesus said' the good news to be preached in our time goes beyond what was originally preached, it becomes legitimate. Did Jesus say that the good news of the kingdom roughly 2,000 years later would mean, not a focus on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and faith in his name, but that he became king in 1914? No. Nowhere is that recorded in any of the Gospels. But 'evidently', Jesus said it.

This is a case of the 'slave' putting words into the Master's mouth, saying things he did not say, attributing those things to him. Notably, it's not far from this quote that this same publication instructs publishers to quickly acquaint interested ones with "the faithful slave", somehow thus establishing Christ as the Master. In short, successfully linking the 'slave' to Jesus Christ cements into the interested one's mind that anything this 'slave' says is actually coming from Jesus Christ. While the intent is stated as establishing Christ as the Leader and Head, is that the actual consequence? Well, certainly the new convert BELIEVES Christ is the Head. But is it true? Has Jesus said anything or done anything special to indicate that the Watchtower Society was his chosen instrument? Well, obviously that would be an untestable assumption, just like Jesus' invisible presence.

Wait...we could test it. If one simply considers what the Society published in 1914 and thereafter, we could probably find out, couldn't we? Yeah...about that...um...let's not be roving about in anything before 1950....the light wasn't too bright before that...but we can be sure that Jesus MUST'VE picked the winning team.

Okay...so maybe I'm not done here on JWN after all. I thought I could be. But there's no end to the obsession. Never will be, I suppose. Never will be.

SD-7

• zoiks
    zoiks

sd-7, I for one am glad that you're still posting this kind of stuff! It can be a healthy outlet, and your posts are insightful and fun to read.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Interesting. Could you type out the actual quote? It would be much more helpful than a paraphrase.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi SD-7,

Great post!

I pray you are done with the WT and their deception but continue on the path that is ahead, the real good news of the Kingdom.

You are quite correct, it is all about Jesus, you are not far from the Kingdom as Jesus would put it.

Mark 12:28-34 (New International Version)

The Greatest Commandment
    28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. [ a ] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' [ b ] 31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' [ c ] There is no commandment greater than these."

32 "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

Blessings,

Stephen

• sd-7
    sd-7

Thank you, zoiks. ... Got your PM. Will keep you in mind.

It just occurred to me that the logical JW defense would be, "Well, Jesus did say that 'this good news of the kingdom' would be preached as a sign of his presence. Bible chronology (and we all know how reliable that is [*cough*1799, 1874, 1918, 1925, 1975*cough*]) indicates that his presence started in 1914. Clearly, he would want THAT good news to be declared."

Well, therein lies the greatest problem with JW argumentation. The structure of this argument hangs entirely on a hook that the Society hung--1914. Which would be well and good, but we need to be able to prove 1914 scripturally. Let's go to Daniel chapter 4, the only prophecy in the book of Daniel that has two fulfillments. Even though the lesson learned is that "the Most High IS Ruler in the kingdom of mankind"--present tense--apparently this tree dream actually means that the Most High WILL BE Ruler in the kingdom of mankind, in October 1914. I've noticed how the present and past tense can be altered as necessary to serve doctrine. Time for a new post on that!

The whole point of the tree dream was to demonstrate that God runs the show whether there is a king on a throne in Jerusalem or not, right? The humiliation of Nebuchadnezzar serves no real purpose if God's rulership towards the earth has actually been cut off at this time, BY Nebuchadnezzar! Why do it, if God's rulership has been interrupted? How can it be that the "Most High IS Ruler" if, at the time the events of Daniel happened, the Most High IS NOT ruler? Hmm.

Here's the real good news: the Society is wrong. Thank God they're not going to be ruling over us in heaven.

SD-7

• sd-7
    sd-7

Donuthole, when I find the exact quote, I will definitely post it here. Sorry about that--didn't bring the book with me.

SD-7

• wobble
    wobble

SD7 Good to have you here , and firing on all cylinders !

I too would appreciate the quote, funny thing is Mrs Wobble opened a drawer the other night, looking to store something, and as it was mighty full, I said "throw away that ***** book, and make a bit of room !" I think she took me at my word and chucked our only copy of the Theo. Sch. book.

Your post is touching on fundamental issues for Newbies, keep it going !

Love

Wobble

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Another great post! Just wanted to say I love your posts - keep them coming! Real brain food.

• donuthole
    donuthole

OK I dug out my "Benefitting From Theocratic Education" and here is the quote under the heading "This Good News of the Kingdom"

"Note, however, that the message that Jesus said would be proclaimed in our day goes beyond what his followers preached in the first century".

Wow! Good find.

• JerkhovahsWitless
    JerkhovahsWitless

Glad to see you're still here posting good threads

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit