Jehovah's Witnesses and the "Great Disappointment" on UK Television

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's a shame those of you outside the UK probably can't view the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qm86v/QI_XL_Series_7_Greats/

Jehovah's Witness get a prominent mention at the start of a popular comedy quiz show here in the UK, hosted by Stephen Fry, called QI. (For Quite Interesting)

What is excellent about it is the way Jehovah's Witnesses are matter-of-factly presented as being one outgrowth (along with Seventh Day Adventists) of the larger Adventist movement following the failure of the Second Coming to arrive in 1843/1844. This is poplular prime time television telling the general public, and any Jehovah's Witnesses watching the programme, that JWs are not unique, that they come from a lineage of apocalyptic groups predicting The End, and that they are not even the largest group to emerge from this background - the Seventh Day Adventists are mentioned as having 15 million members. One of the panelists gets it slightly wrong when he suggests JWs predicted the end of the world in 1920. If he had said 1914, 1925 or 1975 instead he would have been spot on.

• llbh
    llbh

Thanks Slim, that is why comedy can be so powerful, as It puts beliefs under such withering scrutiny. It was funny, I love the program

• xbro
    xbro

so jw's are based on a failed prediction od armageddon,and stupidly russel statred a new date....... dont learn do they!

• alanv
    alanv

It's always good to see any negative news about the witnesses but as soon as one bit of the info. is wrong (as was the case here) JWs will simply reject the whole thing.

Just a bit more persecution from Satan as far as they are concerned.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks, watching now.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Great stuff. Stephen Fry is a legend.

I guess a lot of JWs wouldn't even watch this show because it's hosted by a homosexual.

• cofty
    cofty

The dubs will also take great comfort from Stephen Fry's follow up question about who wore purple triangles in concentration camps.

Good to see them being identified as a Millerite sect, can't say that often enough

• four candles
    four candles

Saw this on the telly as it was broadcast,we watch it every week and is one of the better shows on telly. Stephen Fry is so clever and witty.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks sbf...Once I started it I watched it all through..(nb the WT ref is near the start) ..I think I will go back to watching the show..

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, I can't see the link, but I can imagine how Fry deals with the issue. I hope the origins of the Bible Students will get some more publicity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit