Should I walk away from my "underwater" home?

by The Berean 113 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Furthermore, unless people start walking away, banks will not be inclined to help out homeowners. They should be willing to reduce principal balances. After all, we bailed them out, why can't they bail us out?

I modified my loan. They reduced $500 from my monthly payment and tacked it onto the end so I'm even more under water. I live in a pretty affluent area so I'm not too concerned since they are building multi million dollar homes in my area, I'm sure mine will go back up as it already is.

BUT, I would have no problem walking away otherwise and the bank would have no problem taking my home.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Thanks for the other side of the coin, bluesapphire

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

The thing is that banks have not acted "ethically" toward the consumer. Now that the coin is flipping, they are getting back what they have dished out. It's a consequence.

The consumer is suffering consequences but the banks have not had to. They got bailed out. So they are fighting, kicking and screaming. What they really ought to "ethically" do is take part of the loss on the homes that are under water. Then people would be less inclined to walk away.

• VIII
    VIII
    The thing is that banks have not acted "ethically" toward the consumer. Now that the coin is flipping, they are getting back what they have dished out. It's a consequence.

*Someone* lends you money. Doesn't matter who. It could be a bookie, could be your neighbor, could be a friend, could be a big, bad guy whose henchman is named Bubba.

That *Someone* has a signed contract with *YOUR* signature stating that you will pay a certain percentage of interest for a certain number of months for the privledge of being lent that money. That contract is a legal, binding document that you are obligated to pay; unless you file bankruptcy (get a lawyer for that).

Because *You* don't have thousands of dollars saved up to purchase that item out of hand yourself. You've been purchasing big screen TVs, going on vacations you can't afford, paying for cable with HBO, buying your kid the latest greatest blue jeans and other gadgets your kid doesn't need. Now, as a result, you have to borrow money from whoever will lend it to you. Oh, and you purchased the item without doing your due diligence and paid top price for it. I mean, everyone was buying and you just had to have it, right? It seemed like a bargain. And it was sure to go up in value. Those things ALWAYS do. Right? Right.

If you don't pay that interest, plus a part of the principal you borrowed every month, that Someone has a right to seize the asset you signed on the contract for. Could be an auto, could be a diamond, could be a house. Works pretty much the same way for all of the above.

You decide you don't like politics or policies of that Someone and decide to Teach Them a Lesson.

So, you decide to default on the loan. The loan they own. The loan they have your signature on. The loan which feeds directly into the credit bureau's and will destroy your future chances to get credit from anyone else. At least for 5-7 years.

Oh, and they will seize the asset from you. Whether it be your car, your diamond or your home.

But, being the Brainiac you seem to be, you decide to roll the dice and say "F-them, I don't agree with the President of the US and his policy of bailing them out. I'm angry at the bank for accepting money they didn't ask for (and paid back with interest; all except Citibank--look it up), however, since I am so smart, I'm going to lose my asset over my anger at the System."

Yeah, real smart move.

BTW, banks aren't getting back anything. Except assets--and lots of income apparently. They are getting assets back that you paid for. You already paid for it, partly. Someone else will get it at a reduced rate. The bank only stands to win. Try to figure that one out. The bank only wins. Banks made record profits last year. Why do you think Goldman is paying it's CEO $100 million dollars this year as a bonus? Because they made bad decisions?

Banks are borrowing money at zero percent from the federal government and lending it to us (those of us whose credit isn't destroyed because we didn't walk away from our assets) at 5-8% depending on the asset. They are making lots of cash.

Do some research.

What they really ought to "ethically" do is take part of the loss on the homes that are under water. Then people would be less inclined to walk away

B anks are a business. There is no business reason to take any loss for a bad decision a homeowner made. Who forced the homeowner to pick that home in that area at that price?

Did the realtor force you to purchase that home? Did the loan officer force you to take out that loan? Did someone hold a gun to your head and make you buy a house you couldn't afford and shouldn't have bought in the first place.

A resounding NO.

The bank has absolutely no reason to bailout the stupid decision a homeowner made on running up the purchase price of the home. If a home is underwater, that is terribly unfortunate. There are so many reasons for it. I just don't believe walking away from it is the answer. A car is underwater the moment you drive it off the lot. Do you walk away from it? Why not?

• watson
    watson

VIII, you spell it out very well.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

VIII, you don't know shit about me and ASSume too much.

First of all, I am not walking away from my home as I said in an earlier post. I don't regret buying my home and I will make money when I sell my home sometime in the future. I never took a 2nd on my home or a home equity loan. It just dropped in value because my neighbors DID and defaulted.

Second of all, for many homeowners, it was a BUSINESS decision as well. So what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Ethics apply all the way around and you may not want to face the fact that many banks preyed upon consumers.

• VIII
    VIII
    Second of all, for many homeowners, it was a BUSINESS decision as well. So what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Ethics apply all the way around and you may not want to face the fact that many banks preyed upon consumers.

Bluesapphire, I didn't assume anything about you. I simply responded to your post. Read it a little more carefully, please.

As for this post, as you note, if purchasing a home is a BUSINESS decision that homeowners are making, then they are taking a calculated risk that businesses, large and small take everyday.

And, now, they are learning the hard way that there are consequences to those decisions.

If the banks preyed upon consumers, then the government entity which deals with that should be involved and should be holding their feet to the fire. Since Freddie and Fannie were also a part of it, it could get really ugly. I'm wondering why it's taking so long to happen. Maybe you do?

Ethics are important in business. However, they don't have much to do with simple bad decisions on a homeowners part. Those were calculated risks and they lost that bet. Kind of like picking a losing Lotto ticket. They bet that their home would continue to increase 28% every 6 months and lost. No market can sustain that growth. Only uninformed, uneducated, greedy people believe that.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There seems to be a perverse need by some people in this thread to shield banks from financial responsibility for the risk they very willingly took by actively selling high risk, unsound loans.

Banks, as well as the financial industry sector in general , call their various schemes for making money their "products". A large part of the reason for the worldwide financial system crash is that most of their "products" they sold where defective and unsafe.

• VIII
    VIII

There seems to be a perverse need by some people in this thread to shield Consumers from financial responsibility for the risk they very willingly took by actively taking out loans they couldn't afford, didn't back up with documentation and now refuse to pay.

Banks are businesses. They have every right, in a capitalist society, which last time I checked, we still are, to make money.

Until Obama takes over the banking industry, they are free to sell their Products to consumers. You don't have to do business with them.

Go to the local loan shark for your next loan. Or credit card. See how forgiving he/she is when you can't make a payment on time.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

they are free to sell their Products to consumers. You don't have to do business with them.

When they sell defective products, they must be held accountable; and when they sell risky products, they must take the downside that comes with said risk. Why would you even try to argue otherwise?

There seems to be a perverse need by some people in this thread to shield Consumers from financial responsibility for the risk they very willingly took by actively taking out loans they couldn't afford, didn't back up with documentation and now refuse to pay.

Banks actively promoted that business model and encouraged that behaviour. How could anyone take a loan w/o documentation except for the fact that banks/mortgage brokers specifically sold that very product: undocumented loans?

House flippers/speculators and Banks both want to just walk away from responsibility, and they have. And who can blame them? It's nice work if you can get it. And hell, you'll even have entire groups of idealogues patting you on the back for your bad behavior.

It's the average consumer who is stuck in the middle paying to bail them out. But said average consumer (and w/o reading the whole thread I'm assuming Berean is one such person) should not feel morally responsible to prop up corrupt banks by bearing too much of the brunt of banking system misbehaviour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit