The Bob Dylan is (A) God Thread

by lepermessiah 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• frozen one
    frozen one

Robert Zimmerman, aka Bob Dylan, spent his earliest years living in a house a couple of blocks from my house. While there is no plaque saying "Bob Dylan lived here," the occasional fan does stop by to take a photo. It is an unremarkable duplex that needs some fixin' up. Dylan is a Hillside kid who did good.

• Robdar
    Robdar

This thread has been most enjoyable.

• TMS
    TMS

For those who new to Dylan, his Thirty Years With Columbia Records concert in 1992 is a must see, either in DVD or VHS. Stevie Wonder, Booker T and the MG's, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Willie Nelson, Neal Young, Steve Cropper, Kris Kristofferson, Tracy Chapman, Ron Wood, John Mellancamp, Eddie Vedder, Richie Havens, The Clancy Brothers, Johnny Winter, June Carter and Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roxanne Cash, Shawn Colvin, Chrissie Hind, The Band, Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn all do masterful jobs in interpreting Dylan songs.

Dylan kept me company during all my JW years and beyond. I was in my '59 VW bug listening to KGR Seattle when I first heard the line "you'd rather see me paralyzed." It was too brutally honest for my sensitive JW ears. Joan Baez' version of "Forever Young" means something special to me. I played the song "Tomorrow Night" every evening for a month on my way home from work as my min pin was dying. “Tomorrow night. Will you be with me when the moon is bright? Tomorrow night. Will you say those lovely things you said tonight?”

"Idiot Wind" sings anger to me, "What Was It You Wanted?", sarcasm, "Shooting Star", imagery.

Oh, and "Highway 61 Revisited". My wife and I and young son took a trip down Hwy 61. We talked about the civil rights marchers, peeked at the antebellum homes, got out and stretched our legs at the famous "crossroads". That was many years ago.

Been to a couple Dylan concerts. Yes, he changes the tempo, chords of almost every song to make them hardly recognizable. He occasionally has fun. At Little Rock's Robinson Auditorium, he introduced Ronnie Hawkins who came on stage in a red sport coat and sang with Bob "My Gal Is Red Hot" Bob said he listened to that song as a teenager and had been looking for Hawkins for years.

BTW, Garth Brooks does a nice job on "Make You Feel My Love".

tms

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Joan Baez knew him well, and in her song, we see a bit of their relationship revealed. She speaks kindly of him, yet bittersweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit