Does the organization still police people when it comes to saving seats at conventions?

by Magwitch 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This was a huge source of contention between me and my ex. My parents were in the same district as us; I always thought it would be nice to sit together especially when I had two daughters in one year. My ex rufused to sit with my parents if they saved us seats and he would never allow me to save two seats for them. If you were not in ones immediate household or in the car to the convention you were out of luck.

Is this stupid policy still in effect?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is in the Kingdumb Misery every year. You are allowed to save seats only for those in your car group, presumably so everyone traveling together can leave together. It would make sense if the auditorium was actually full and they were having trouble finding enough seats. But, with whole sections practically empty or having portions roped off, it makes absolutely no sense.

• undercover
    undercover

I haven't been to a convention in years, but the last time I went it was still in effect.

And most dubs ignored it anyway, just like usual.

I don't know why it was such a big deal. Eight thousand dubs in a 10,000 seat coliseum...um, I think there's enough seats for everyone. It's not like it's U2 or anything. You don't need front row seats to see the drama.

I've been to dozens of concerts, sporting events and other "worldly" events and the worst stampede I ever got caught in was at a coliseum when they opened the doors for the "friends" to come into the auditorium. 80 year old sisters with canes were knocking the shit out of me as they beat their way to get the choicest seats. I just got outa the way. Damn. Take em, I don't care, I'm just trying to get 4 seats together. No biggie.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Undercover: 80 year old sisters with canes were knocking the shit out of me as they beat their way to get the choicest seats.

And those 80 year old sisters were probably camped out all night to be first through that door.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

The problem isn't with people saving seats. The problem is always some jerkoff saving the CHOICEST seats with masking tape or rope or something to make it look like an "official" set aside. And the jerkoff ropes off an entire row or section. usually the front row or a few rows back, I never saw anyone do this in the nosebleed seats.

Instead of chastising the few idiots who do this the WTBTS overreacts and chastises everyone, and the same jerkoffs rope off whole sections of seats at every assembly.

I remember one ciricut I was in, every assembly you would see the same seats roped off by the same jerkoffs.

And these jerkoffs were always elders and always the most holier than you and I.

• leec
    leec

Shouldnt the elders sit in the very back row since they apparently already know it all? Give the ones who need some religion pounded into them the up front seats.

... but that would make sense....

• nugget
    nugget

The policy is that you can only save seats for people in your immediate car group. So if you are not travelling together you should not save seats. This being said brothers who live near the stadium still arrive early and save all the end seats in the best places and no one stops them. If you travel in you have to leave at stupid o'clock to be sure you can all sit together.

This year there is no car parking so if going we should travel by coach. That is not going to happen we've already decided we have better stuff to do and torturing my children over a weekend isn't one of them.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I don't care any more.

I don't go to any Kingdom Hall meetings so no problems there.

I go to the Circuit and District Assemblies to support my wife. Finding a seat is a problem when there is just two of you.

• highdose
    highdose

Magwitch, i wonder if you married an ex jw boyfreind of mine, haha. That is exactly what he was like, so obessed with following the borgs rules that he couldn't see the wood for the trees

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I used to prefer the seats way up high. Those seats were near the air conditioning ducts and usually cooler than the seats near the stage. Also, it would be extra work for the hounders to climb the stairs (huffing and puffing) just to make sure I don't drift off to sleep or take my rap music box off--when they would get easier pickings nearer the bottom.

Of course, these days I have my seat--in front of my computer, on apostate forums where the Grand Boasting Sessions are always transcripted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit