Is WT Violating International Law?

by cameo-d 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Apostasy in Law

International Law

Article 18.2 bars coersion that would impair the right to have or adopt a belief...including use of threat, physical force or penal sanctions to compel believers to adhere to religious beliefs...

Penal sanctions are a means of coersion which involve some type of punishment.

Could the requirement of door to door work and turning in time cards be a form of indentured or coerced labor?

Is anything (i.e. priveliges, reinstatement, etc.) being withheld in order to compel production?

Sanction: that part of law which inflicts penalty for violation or bestows reward (priveliges) for its observance.

"The amoral man obeys law not out of sense of moral conviction but because of the consequences that may befall him if he does not."

-------

Has it not been in the financial interest of the corporation to use unpaid labor as a profitable method of conducting business?

Hasn't reptuation, congregational approval, and affection of friends and family been dependant/conditional upon adherence to these corporate dictates?

--------------

ref: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apost

http://webjcli.ncl.ac.uk/1998/issue2/gobert2.html

• LittleSister
    LittleSister

Interesting point, but would require a test case to set a president in law.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> "The amoral man obeys law not out of sense of moral conviction but because of the consequences that may befall him if he does not."

This is why I consider religious people to be the evil ones and not the Atheists. Atheists are good because it is in their nature to be good. Religious people are good because they are under threat of eternal damnation.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Would you say that door to door work is strictly voluntary?

If so, then why does WT insist on an accounting from individuals?

Is this to recieve reward or to prevent punishment?

Why do some JWs feel the need to fake time cards and service if there is no reward/punishment?

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Its completely voluntary. No one can force you to go out in service. Nothing will be done if you decline to participate. There are probably tens or hundred of thousand "inactive" JWs.

Further, being a JW is completely voluntary. Anyone can leave at any time.

How's that for Devil's advocate? But the sad part is its all true. Jws are basically in their own self-contained prison, they can get out of this prison at any time, they just don't realize it.

No Apologies

• JeffT
    JeffT

International law applies to governments not religion. In the view of a court I'm sure the argument would be made (and succeed) that your religion only has such power as you grant it (unlike a government). If anybody ever establishes an all-JW government and passed laws requiring FS and shunning you might have a case. I've never heard of anybody taking on an Islamic Republic over the idea. Short of starting a war, it isn't enforcable.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

cameo,

If I remember correctly, you have never been a Witness.

Why don't you cut the crap, go become one, AND THEN come in here with your drivel.

Judge Dread

• dssynergy
    dssynergy

Its completely voluntary. No one can force you to go out in service. Nothing will be done if you decline to participate. There are probably tens or hundred of thousand "inactive" JWs.

Further, being a JW is completely voluntary. Anyone can leave at any time.

How's that for Devil's advocate? But the sad part is its all true. Jws are basically in their own self-contained prison, they can get out of this prison at any time, they just don't realize it.

oh, come on. If that were completely true, there would be no "faders", just "lapsed Witnesses" who could still see their families and socialize with friends without issue.
  • cameo-d
    cameo-d

cameo,

If I remember correctly, you have never been a Witness.

Why don't you cut the crap, go become one, AND THEN come in here with your drivel.

Judge Dread

-----

Is this the way most JWs treat "worldly's" who try to befriend them?

Seems to me you are now caught up in the "specialness" of being an ex-JW.

• Gill
    Gill

Good Morning, Cameo-d!

Well, the dubs are a 'law unto themselves', so whether international law applied to them or not.....it would not matter to them at all!

It is the Voluntary Slavery of JWs that is sad to see and having been part of that Slavery for nearly forty years, in the past, I can confirm that every single moment spent distributing the Crap Tower was Hell on Earth and equivilant to slavery!

To say that JWs can leave that Slavery at any time is unfair and a misrepresentation, because the chances are they must leave behind family and loved ones and potentially never have contact with them again.....so they must sell their souls to leave the Devil!

It should be illegal.....but I doubt it ever will be!

As for Judge Dread's comment, I think you show more insight on JWs than many who have been part of and left the Org.

A lot of ex JWs have not continued to try to understand the world, the world's real history and society as it truly functions, not just the veneer placed on it by the 'Master's'. Because of this, it is very much like trying to wake a sleep walker, and you are likely to get a punch for your troubles!

A lot of JWs NEED and require to be told what to do, what to think, what to feel as there seem to be some who cannot trust themselves to have their own thoughts, feelings and ideas and the WatcthTower lie is a necessity to them to survive.

I think you know this, Cameo-d! But keep up the good work. Perhaps one day, some more of those who have had the gumption to leave Watchtower land will take a furthur step and really open their eyes!

I remember the shock of finally waking up properly and finding the world is not one jot what I every thought it was when I was asleep.....and now...after several years recovering from that realisation I would honestly say that it is far better to be awake and see the hell the world has been made into, than to blindly walk into the craziness that is the Earth and the human race.

Sometimes, you have to realise that not everyone can cope with reality and they may be better off still sleeping!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit