The Jehovah's witnesses, Stroup .pdf

by juancarloshg 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• juancarloshg
    juancarloshg

Hello, to all forumI am doing research on Jehovah's Witnesses and their history and I need a book that fill my data. EntitledThe Jehovah's witnesses,Author: Herbert Hewitt StroupSomeone in the forum that can help me being able to achieve?excuse me my English is not very good. Greetings from Spain

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

The file can be downloaded from here: http://www.badongo.com/file/20072329

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

This book may be of interest to others who enjoy reading about JW history.

H. H. Stroup was a sociology student in 1945 when he decided that the best way to understand Jehovah's Witnesses was to "become" one.

He accepted a "free home Bible study"™ and began attending meetings. Today the book is very difficult to find.

"Timothy White" reviewed the book in "A PEOPLE FOR HIS NAME," saying:

This book is for the most part an authoritative and useful history of the Witnesses. It contains much material not covered here which some may find useful, such as Russell's commercial methods of raising money for his work, the type of programs broadcast over WBBR, the history of baptism in the movement, etc. Stroup (who is also the author of a standard college textbook on sociology) is also interested in the question Why people become Jehovah's Witnesses, and devotes much space to examining letters from converts which The Watchtower used to print. He remains unbiased, being duped neither by the Witness organization's claim to have no clergy-laity distinction on the one hand, nor opposers' claims that Russell was immoral on the other. In regard to the latter, he says of Maria's statements in court: "Most of the testimony was highly suggestive but never conclusive." As to his faults, he commits a very serious error when he says that Russell taught that Paul polluted Christianity; he says that only twenty-nine believers left in 1909, whereas in Australia alone, as the Branch manager reported, "Bro. Henninges, I think, still holds about eighty or so" (W 2/15/10, pp. 68, 69. Reprints, p. 4564); he thinks the term "pilgrim" was invented by the Herald (p. 64); he says Rutherford did not write Children (p. 50); he says the Informant was only sent to fulltime workers, true of its predecessor Bulletin, and only that until 1922; etc.

Get it before it evaporates!

• JWoods
    JWoods

Do you think this is still a relevant book, Nathan? Or just a kind of obscure footnote to JW investigation?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

It is a snapshot of The Borg in the mid 1940s from an objective (no cross to burn) academic perspective.

Personally, I wish that there were more objective sociological studies (infiltrations?) of the Kingdom Halls.

Anecdotal books by former rank-and-file members have limited value beyond the catharsis they provide the author, in my opinion.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

No matter how long I waited I could not get the file to download.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Thanks

Try again Lee. I got it with no problems.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I just downloaded it.

When you go to the site, navigate over to the top right corner of the page. There will be a box into which you enter a CAPCHA code, then click to begin the download. The screen will refresh. Go to the bottom of the screen and you will se it counting down for your download to begin. When the countdown finishes, click one more time to actually begin the download. I have DSL and it took about 12 seconds for the 5 megs to download.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Nathan I got it

Don't know what happened the last time. After I entered the code the next page came up but never loadedthe bottom of the page.

• Black Sheep

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit