How do you know when someone has given something to you?

by Elsewhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

In the absence of law or contract, abandoned property can be considered a gift under most circumstances, when the owner is not obvious, the property is delivered in a lawful manner, and there is no fraud on your part. There are exceptions, for example anything mailed to your home absent your request is considered a gift (in the US).

Car boots are covered under law, describing their use and ownership. They are not considered abandoned when used within the confines of law.

Vehicles and other property that typically has a registered owner must go through a legal process or registration for ownership to change (in general).

When damaging property that is not your own, you can be sued in civil court where guilt is assessed based on a preponderance of the evidence.

• undercover
    undercover
    > Has ownership of the car been transferred just because the car is now in his lot?
    No, because the car was placed there temporarily under an agreed upon contract by the person who requested use of the lot.

Then similarly this would apply to the situation of the boot being attached to the car. By parking in the lot, there is an agreement between the parties as to the use of that lot. If the parking party violates the agreement, then the boot is the legal means to ensure that the parking party lives up to the contract.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    When your doctor says, "someone has given something to you"

LOL, Gregor. Great minds think alike!

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

I generally check for a rash.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Funny, I thought this was going to be a philosophical discussion about the unrecognized gifts that people bring to our lives. I was going to answer: usually long after they're gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit