What is the best thing you did to recover after leaving the JWs?

by Lady Lee 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I often get inspiration for threads from PMs from other posters. Here is one that I thought I would put out there to get your recommendations?

What is the best thing you did?

Was there something you did that wasn't worth the effort?

What would you recommend for others to try?

• shamus100
    shamus100

Threw out all of my books. Every scrap of garbage, including the "New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" (copywright Watchtower Bible and Tract Society)

I knew then it was over, and I was free.

What wouldn't I do? Run around handing out leaflets, or picketing at conventions.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Lee, I am a secret admirer of yours, I guess not a secret anymore. What a great topic.

For me, being angry and bitter, as damn hard as I tried, it was there. It worked against me. I needed therapy. Frankly, I still have some issues. I strongly encourage you if you need it to please seek out mental health professionals, whether they be social workers, psychologists, psychatrists, etc....

As hard as it was for me to be angry at God, I am glad that I listened a bit to theists. They didn't bring me a centimeter closer to "truth", but they did help me see the value of spirituality.

I personally recommend two books by Mitch Albom, "Tuesdays with Morrie", and his latest, "Have a Little Faith". Very thought provoking, without demanding you do something other then love others and be a human being.

Lastly, and I speak from my heart here, I don't think that the destruction of Jehovah's Witnesses should be the aim of ANYone. They will go down due to their own shortsightedness and stupidity. If they weren't around, another group would take their place. Better to focus on helping people to love others, and esp, themselves.

Don't judge others from being different. Even if they are Republican. (OOPS! I didn't say that,,,,, carry on...) ;)

Love or perish. That makes more sense every day I live. We all are worthy to receive love, and we all should give it whenver we can. To love another person creates more responsibility on us then any religion or god could ever do. And it means so much. Love as best you can, and be humble as you do so. There isn't such a thing as a loving ass. But there is such a thing as a loving person, who extends themselves for 5 seconds, and they can make all the difference to a person, a family. Don't underestimate love and forgiveness.

:)

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

That's a very good question, Lady Lee, and one that I had to think about. I'm not really sure there was anything in particular during the first years I was out... they were very painful and I had a difficult time moving forward.

Honestly... I think the best thing I did was research and investigate after accidentally running across this site. I was looking for something completely unrelated, and a JWD thread about the subject popped up in my search! It was then I saw threads about the UN involvement, and I refused to believe it, even though I had been inactive for many years! I stayed up all night researching, finding the newspaper articles, and finally ended up on the official United Nations website (which, as you know, confirms the Watchtower involvement.)

This site was literally the key that unlocked my naive apologist shackles.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Me, too, Baba-dear.

Best thing I did was join here.

I think being here really speeded up my healing process.

The wisdom of you who have been here for awhile is invaluable to the newbies.

• dissed
    dissed

Stay busy.....

For me I started working hard in my business to make it a success.

Spend time with the family in hobbies, interests, etc...something we had no time to do with the JW's

It also helped for us to do charity work as a family. Something that REALLY could benefit people, not wasting time in door to door work.

Developing family ties with those not JW's who were neglected for 26 years.

With our new special interests, we quickly made friends to replace those we lost.

Getting therapy? For now, coming here has been real good. Perhaps some pro help wouldn't hurt, except for the pocketbook.

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I haven't done much so far, but I would definitely say joining this board. In the future, I plan to go to counseling and read all of the books that I haven't (CoC, CCMC, etc)...

• Think About It
    Think About It

What is the best thing you did? Answer- become rich.

Was there something you did that wasn't worth the effort? Answer- spent the night in jail.

What would you recommend for others to try? Answer- rock the house singing karaoke.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What was the best thing I did?

Find JWD/JWN..

Meet some Truely Genuine Souls..

And..

Enjoy thier Company..

............... ...OUTLAW

• The Berean
    The Berean

The best thing I did was QUIT BELIEVING! We should not be afraid to consider that JWs might well be demon-controlled. All the evidence is there. If we can't say that then we are still afraid they might be right!

So many think they are liberated while at the same time still defering to the man-made rules and doctrines that were programed into them, generating a hidden feeling that they left simply because they could not please this particular God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit