What is the thing that is spoke of as subconscious?

by acolytes 10 Replies latest jw friends

• acolytes
    acolytes

Can we trust it to better our lifes?

Acolytes

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I did some experimentation with lucid dreaming when I was on the fence as a jw - literally staying awake while letting my body fall asleep and entering dreams (wild method for any other LDers out there). One thing I found was that while the sub-consious can reveal some interesting stuff about yourself that you might be logically-blinded to admit, you have to appreciate that the subconsious - like the consious - is not perfect, and can mis-interpret things.

- Lime

• acolytes
    acolytes

Interesting Hint of lime

I think we all have a marvelouse potential inside of us. I think it might be governd by universal laws we dont understand.

I think you only realise your desires and aspirations by a energy and power that cannot be found in organised religon. Instead its found inside of us.

Acolytes

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Consciousnes and the subconsciousness(unconscious) there still much debate in this but Freud was the first to develope the Psychoanlysis method to probe the unconcious thru free association and find the underlying causes for some types of mental conflicts and finding insights into there resolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoanalysis

Freudian psychoanalysis refers to a specific type of treatment in which the "analysand" (analytic patient) verbalizes thoughts, including free associations, fantasies, and dreams, from which the analyst formulates the unconscious conflicts causing the patient's symptoms and character problems, and interprets them for the patient to create insight for resolution of the problems.

The specifics of the analyst's interventions typically include confronting and clarifying the patient's pathological defenses, wishes and guilt. Through the analysis of conflicts, including those contributing to resistance and those involving transference onto the analyst of distorted reactions, psychoanalytic treatment can clarify how patients unconsciously are their own worst enemies: how unconscious, symbolic reactions that have been stimulated by experience are causing symptoms.

1890s

The idea of Psychoanalysis was developed in Vienna in the 1890s by Sigmund Freud, a neurologist interested in finding an effective treatment for patients with neurotic or hysterical symptoms. Freud had become aware of the existence of mental processes that were not conscious as a result of his neurological consulting job at the Children's Hospital, where he noticed that many aphasic children had no organic cause for their symptoms. He wrote a monograph about this subject. [2] In the late 1880s, Freud obtained a grant to study with Jean-Martin Charcot, the famed neurologist and syphilologist, at the Salpêtrière in Paris. Charcot had become interested in patients who had symptoms that mimicked general paresis, the psychotic illness that occurs due to tertiary syphilis. Charcot had found that many patients experienced paralyses, pains, coughs, and a variety of other symptoms with no demonstrable physical cause. Prior to Charcot's work, women with these symptoms were thought to have a wandering uterus (hystera means "uterus" in Greek), but Freud learned that men could have psychosomatic symptoms as well. He also became aware of an experimental treatment for hysteria utilized by his mentor and colleague, Dr. Josef Breuer. The treatment was a combination of hypnotism and catharsis which utilized abreaction (ventilation of emotion). This treatment was used to treat the hysterical symptoms of Dr. Breuer's now famous patient, Anna O.

Freud's first theory to explain hysterical symptoms was the so-called "seduction theory." Since his patients under treatment with this new method "remembered" incidents of having been sexually seduced in childhood, Freud believed that they had actually been abused only to later repress those memories. This led to his publication with Dr. Breuer in 1893 of case reports of the treatment of hysteria. [3] This first theory became untenable as an explanation of all incidents of hysteria. As a result of his work with his patients, Freud learned that the majority complained of sexual problems, especially coitus interruptus as birth control. He suspected their problems stemmed from cultural restrictions on sexual expression and that their sexual wishes and fantasies had been repressed. Between this discovery of the unexpressed sexual desires and the relief of the symptoms by abreaction, Freud began to theorize that the unconscious mind had determining effects on hysterical symptoms.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think gaining an understanding of it can better our lives and helps to understand some of our self destructive behaivors.

I have taken powerful psychedelic substances many times that open up the unconscious and bring it to the conscious, I think they if used wisely and one takes time to read or understand what these visions are telling us about ourselves and some of our internal conflicts can be resolved.

A professional is often need though and recomended.

• frankiespeakin
  • acolytes
    acolytes

Hi frankiespeaken

Thanks for the informative posts. I will give it the attention it deserves on Tuesday when I have more time. Really appreciate the info.

Acolytes

• poppers
    poppers

marked

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> What is the thing that is spoke of as subconscious?

Great question. I have yet to see a good explanation of what that is.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Else,

Consciousness is the part that you are aware of and the unconscious is the part you are not. I look at the unconscious part as containing memories that we can become conscious of, as well as parts of the brain we can't become conscious of or if we do it is very limited as to what we can become conscious of.

The unconscious part has it's effects on the conscious parts and can be responsible for behavior to certain stimuli which we can be totally unaware of or only partially aware of. This no doubt is why the interest in the unconscious in treating certain mental disorders or resolving mental conflicts that cause destructive behavior, because the person may not be aware of what is causing such destructive behavior because they are repressed deep in the unconscious part.

We are not conscious of the many nerve connections electrochemical that happen when we think but we can become partially aware if we are in a MRI scanner. We are not aware of the steps that imagining process goes through that allow us to see, we are just conscious of the results that we see in the mind with just a very small portion of the visual image receiving our conscious attention.

In essence we are just aware of a very small amount of what is going on in the brain and that is all interpretation that the conscious mind gives it which may or may not be true and often heavily biased based on what evolution has left us with for as a survival mechanism.

Take the color red all it is a light wavelength there is no color to it our brain adds it.

Hope this helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit