NEED COMPUTER GURUS

by Trotafox 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Bigboi: I don't put up with a lot of shit when I have a job to do! In my office, people know better than to ignore me or piss me off, including my boss.

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Trotafox, I am by no means a computer guru (not by a loooong shot), but when I was having problems with my puter and called compaq, they said that there are glitches with the 98 second edition program itself. Now I don't know what those problems are, and it ended up that the particular problem I was having at the time had nothing to do with it, but it may have something to do with yours. Perhaps the program glitches won't allow it to upgrade successfully? Just a guess, and not a very educated one at that.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Thanks Sieg. When Windows 2002 didn't work, they reloaded with 98 Second Ed. That's just great. What a fun time I'm going to have tomorrow (that is if I ever get to bed).

Trot

"Wicked men obey from fear; good men, from love".... Aristotle. You can love and obey Christ without intervention from an organization.

• Simon
    Simon

It does seem that in most places, the quality of the computer is inversely related to how much work will be done on it and how much it will be used.

Top managers get the best and then are out the office, flying round etc ... and secretaries & assistants get the hand-me-downs but need to use them constantly.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I'm no guru, but I run the Service Team of a computer company's IT department, so have people within the company 'phoning up and bitching when they have problems.

I agree a complete reinstallation (after formatting) is the best option. I also agree that Managers get the best stuff and then don't use it... or they stand at the galley on the train with a £4,000 laptop open on the bartop, chatting loudly with their colleauges as they celebrate a new contract, and get all upset when you slop hot chocolate over the keyboard. Managers here have PIII's or now PIV's. Some workers are still on original Pentium 166, although most are PII or Celeron. It's dumb.

If that doesn't work, wire a Cat5 cable to a two-pin plug and stick it in the LAN socket after plugging it into the mains. That way you'll get a new PC... (please don't actually do this... it would be dangerous, even if it's fun)

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• fodeja
    fodeja

Here's some good advice from Dave Barry:

http://www.miami.com/herald/special/features/barry/2002/docs/jan06.htm

And this is how IT people view los...errr, users:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bofh/

Have fun :-)

f.

• rhett
    rhett

Thanks Simon! I downloaded it and will try it out and post the results.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• rhett
    rhett

For those of you who may be wondering how that extension Simon recommened for converting Office files into webpages worked out here are the results of my quick tests.
    Just for the record, I've got Office 2000 running on Windows 2000 Pro here at home.
    I just tried using the converter with an Excel file. I saved it as a webpage and then ran it through the converter as I didn't get a nice button that comes up in Excel like I did with word. It doesn't have anything complicated in it and is around 160 lines and 6 columns. It knocked the size down a good bit but for some weird reason reformatted some cells and totally moved the contents in some to the top of the page for some unknown reason. For this webpage I'm pretty sure I'll still just transfer everything to Dreamweaver to do the website which stinks because I update this page way more than I do the one I tried with Word.
    Seemed to do ok with a simple Word file (my resume that I have posted on my website) that I converted although there was still some stuff in the code that really served no purpose what so ever. I imagine I'll use it quite a bit with this file but just make sure I bring it into Dreamweaver to get rid of some of the extra pieces that are unneeded. I do like the tool for this purpose as it means I don't have to do a lot of the cleaning manually
    There's the report on my quick little tests that I ran. At this point in time I'd say its a good little utility to have but still would definitely recomend getting your hands on a copy of Dreamweaver if possible if you do very much web authoring at all.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Abaddon:

...so have people within the company 'phoning up and bitching when they have problems.

With all due respect, if my computer doesn't work, my work comes to a standstill; my boss is not happy. I still have my deadlines to meet, and you can bet I'm going to come looking for ya. Service please. I wasn't the one who installed my computer; they did. I didn't ask for a hand-me-down computer. Don't like the complaints? Tuff. I.T. pressured and overworked? Tuff. I'm not exactly filing my fingernails and, trust me, I have to handle my share of crap all day, too. I have long since lost my sense of humor over this. If I could have fixed it myself, I would have, and saved myself a hell of a lot of aggravation.

By the way, they managed to fix it today by reinstalling Microsoft 2000 and Office Suite 2002. DAH.....

Fod: Appreciated your first link. Needed it. Thanks. Your second link...I think you know what I think.

Thank you to all of those who took the time to repsond to this thread. I appreciate it.

I'm going to go have myself a glass of wine now and go to bed.

Trot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit