"Jesus is Lord". Every hear a JW say that?

by Chalam 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• snowbird
    snowbird

It was clear, Inkling, and you're right on the money.

Sylvia

• Farkel
    Farkel

:"Jesus is Lord". Every hear a JW say that?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No.

Farkel

• inkling
    inkling

I felt the need to look this up in the NWT, just becuase I didn't remember ever reading that phrase in the "Witness" Bible:

"For if you publicly declare that ‘word in your own mouth,’ that Jesus is Lord, and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one exercises faith for righteousness, but with the mouth one makes public declaration for salvation."

How could I have read that verse so many times and never seen how clear it says that?

[inkling]

• snowbird
    snowbird

I like that, Blondie: Jesus as an older brother ...

Perhaps the writer of Hebrews did, too.

Hebrews 2:11-13 Since the One who saves and those who are saved have a common origin, Jesus doesn't hesitate to treat them as family, saying,
    I'll tell my good friends, my brothers and sisters, all I know
    about you;
    I'll join them in worship and praise to you. Again, he puts himself in the same family circle when he says,
    Even I live by placing my trust in God. And yet again,
    I'm here with the children God gave me. MSG

LOL at Farkel.

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How could I have read that verse so many times and never seen how clear it says that?
    [inkling]

Chalam, the originator of this thread, says we were bewitched by the WT.

Galatians 3:1 You crazy Galatians! Did someone put a hex on you? Have you taken leave of your senses? Something crazy has happened, for it's obvious that you no longer have the crucified Jesus in clear focus in your lives. His sacrifice on the cross was certainly set before you clearly enough. MSG

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? KJV

Sylvia

• garyneal
    garyneal

Good post, Stephen.

I want to add an experience I had the last time I attended the KH. A brother was visiting from a neighboring city and gave a talk about serving and following Jesus. The beginning of his talk focus solely on Jesus and I was rather impressed with that and was beginning to think that he wasn't your typical Jehovah's Witness. Then he started talking about how you serve Jesus is by serving the Faithful Slave (ARRGH). So you serve the slave by serving your local elders (EESH).

• cofty
    cofty

An excerpt from an article I wrote soon after I left the borg

In view of this sample of texts quoted above, it would seem reasonable to say that Jehovah's Witnesses do not speak about Jesus in the same manner as early Christians did. The apostles described themselves as witnesses of Jesus, they called him their only owner and Lord, and the one to whom they belonged. They were baptised in his name, led by his Spirit, rejoiced in his blessing and overflowed with praise for him. All of these statements are incompatible with the beliefs and practice of Jehovah's Witnesses. Even if an individual Witness may feel comfortable with such expressions they could never voice such sentiments in the hearing of others. There can be no doubt that if a Jehovah's Witness were to go back to a meeting of early Christians they would feel profoundly out of place.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Thanks for all the responses, great thoughts all round!

It is clear from the posts that JWs are highly unlikely to say this simple statement of faith, let alone believe it.

Romans 10:9 (New International Version)

9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

IMHO opinion no WT believing JW can be saved. That might seem a bit black and white to some but could Romans 10:9 be any clearer?

Here's a few verses in regards to "Jesus is Lord" Luke 6:5 Luke 11:1 John 14:5-7 John 20:28 Acts 10:36 Acts 16:31 Romans 6:23 1 Corinthians 12:3

Blessings,

Stephen

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

As a bethel elder once said to me, "We put our faith and wish to be identified with, the God of the OT, with jehovah and not with anything from the NT".

• donuthole
    donuthole

In the WT Jesus is sometimes referred to as Lord but it is not a common for Witnesses to say as it would sound too much like "Christendom"

I was looking at JW WT fan page on Facebook someone here had linked to. Now four years removed from that religion it was incredible to see how much they speak endlessly about Jah/Jehovah and the suprisingly lack of mention of Jesus. As for my personal experience in my final year as a Witness I started getting into hot water with the local BOE who felt that I spoke about Jesus too much. This even when had a very JW mindset and barely appreciated Jesus. The early Christian Congregation did not have this problem. From what we read in the New Testament they had no fear of having to mention "Jehovah" four times for every one time they spoke about Jesus. If anything there was the fear of not speaking about Christ enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit