Taking Sodium Seriously!

by AK - Jeff 29 Replies latest social physical

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Yep - it is the sodium. Most of our western diet sodium comes in the form of salt. Most food labels use sodium - and that is what I check. Not salt specifically - though if labels include salt content that would be something to check. Also watch for MSG - another source.

After 4 days my BP has fallen from about 150/95 to just 117/72 this morning.

I have downloaded an Excel template to track it also, and will keep in minimized on my desktop for quick reports. The template makes it easy to see a graph to see visually how your pressure is trending.

Jeff

• freydo
    freydo

I don't doubt that salt is the culprit, but I just want to know the mechanics instead of just being told "it's bad."

It's like "bad colesterol" God invented it. It reacts with sunlight to form vitamin D that has to be there in order

for the body to absorb calcium. But they keep calling what God invented, "bad."

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

Sea salt contains all the minerals that are in the human body in the same ratio. I stopped using table salt and starting using sea salt years ago. You can find sea salt at any good health food store. Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods) carries it. Make sure that you get unprocessed sea salt. Sea salt in its natural form is lumpy and still has moisture in it so it is not free flowing like table salt. It also has a greyish color.

There is another product called real salt which is mined from an old sea bed in Utah (I think), it is still sea salt, just comes from a different place. I think you have to order real salt online, I haven't seen it in the stores in a while.

Hope this helps.

• designs
    designs

How are the Gourmet Salts you see in the markets, some are really tasty, chemically is it all the same.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Trust your tastebuds. That's the only thing that matters.

• beksbks
    beksbks

"But they keep calling what God invented, "bad.""

Are you serious?

• freydo
    freydo

So why did God invent salt mines?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No one is saying that salt is 'bad' - only that it is bad to ingest too much of it. Sun is not bad, of itself, but sit out in the direct summer sun for 10 hours and see that the effect is 'bad' indeed.

The human body only needs about 200 mg daily for it's chemical needs. Western society averages something between 3500 and 4000 mg daily per capita.

Jeff

• megaflower
    megaflower

The more processed the food is the higher the sodium content. Personally, we eat very light. Our diet consists mainly of fresh vegs and fruit. We cook in extra virgin olive oil. My husband and I weight less now than when we where in college. I have been able to maintain a size 6. We also exercise. I run between 4-5 miles a day and lift weights. It is important to drink lots of water.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

New article on salt restriction on Yahoo,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100121/lf_nm_life/us_salt_life

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit