how can the Jw's explain away the haiti earthquake?

by highdose 12 Replies latest jw friends

• highdose
    highdose

i'm sure they will get asked on the doors "how could god let this happen?"

i belive the standard answer is a fudged recitation of adam and eve, basicly meaning its ok that these people died becuase way back when, someone disobeyed god, and that makes it ok...

any other stupid jw explanations for this?

• VIII
    VIII

Just like they explain The Great Repression:

Mother had spoken of “the last days,” a feature of which is “great earthquakes.” (2 Timothy 3:1; Luke 21:7-11)

This is a "Sign of the Times" and a sign we are in the "Last Days of the Old System of Things".

http://www.watchtower.org/e/200709/article_03.htm

BTW, on the top of the link they say God does not create natural disasters. So, you point out that they are just a sign of the last days and the GT is starting and Armageddon is right around the corner. In 2012. No, 2034. Or, maybe when people who were alive to see Miley Cyrus die, die.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

My dad would answer thus ... Well actually it's a good thing. God is letting it happen to fulfill Bible prophecy and to wake people up. Turn to Matt. 24 and notice that earthquakes are just another sign the end is closer than you think. Jehovah is showing his loving kindness by allowing these warnings so people will take notice. They need to begin serving him or they will be destroyed.

My parents as well as other J.W's I know get extremely excited when there is a disaster like this that fits into prophecy.

• Inkie
    Inkie

Two reasons: One, the earth does what it does. Always has, always will. Two, people do what they do since Adam: building poorly (corrupt construction), corrupt governments (taking all the profits, who cares about the people), individuals and groups slaughtering each other (vandals and looters, etc. Very, very sad indeed.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I heard a JW say that the Great Tsunami a few years ago wiped out the islands because those people were a pagan nation.

I assume a lot of JWs will side with Pat Robertson on this one.

• sir82
    sir82

If asked that at the door, they'd likely respond with one or more of the following:

1) Revelation whatever - "Satan hurled down to the earth"

2) Matthew whatever - sign of the last days, great earthquakes

3) 1 John whatever - "whole world lying in the power of the wicked one"

4) Ecclesiastes whatever - "time and unforeseen occurrence"

5) Revelation 21:4 - "no more tears, sorrow, death" (soon!)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't want to be an insensetive prick but:

Every island has potiential for earthquakes and every "beach" has potnetial to suffer hurricanes and tsunamis, just like plaines get Tornados and such.

Its part of the "price" you pay for choosing to live where you live, though in the case of the majority of Haitians, its not a case of choice, unlike perhaps Californians that live by the fault,

People that live by the beach have the beach and beautiful sand and water and hurricanes and tsunamis, people on islands have the weather, beach, sand and earthquakes and volcanes, here in Toronto we have beaches too and great living standard and also tones of snow, -30 wheather and ice storms.

Nowhere is perfect.

The natural disaters of today and tomorrow will claim more people that in the past because there are more people living than in the past.

A quake that hit somewhere in 1812 and killed 1000 people out of 10,000 (10%), if it hit today in the aread where there are now 150K people would potentially kill 15K people.

Its horrid but it is also math.

• HappyGuy
    HappyGuy

I have been to Haiti. I did some work there for the US Navy in helping to supply clean water to people who had no access to clean water. For some reason the US Navy is very interested in finding ways to purify water. The system I worked on creates fresh water using a process similar to the way the earth makes rain.

Anyway, the place is a nightmare. When you hear the word "building" in the context of Haiti you have to dismiss the picture you have in your mind of a modern building like we have in American cities. "Buildings" in Haiti are either 1) shacks, or b) lean tos of hastily thrown together salvaged materials, or 3) poorly designed, poorly constructed, under engineered multi story shacks which in no way could survive an earthquake or a hurricane.

Most of the loss of life in Haiti happened because of the ridiculous buildings they have.

The countryside in Haiti is totally denuded because the people are so poor they savenge the countryside for anything that can be burned for fuel or used for making a shack. The mountains around their capital city are totally denuded. So, earthquake plus rain equals mudslides equals high loss of life.

Their poverty, lack of a functioning government, and decades of corruption and tyranny created this situation.

If we had a functioning news media in this country the reporters would be doing in depth stories on how the decades of corruption and the misappropriation of every penny of foreign aid by the elites has so devestated the people of Haiti and led to this disaster. And, perhaps something coudl be done to fix that problem. But, they won't do real reporting and will just do their usual sound bites.

I read that Obama was gloating that he had given Haiti $100 million. That is NOTHING. The people of Haiti are so desperately poor that $100 million is a rounding error on their true needs BEFORE the earthquake hit.

But, just throwing money at Haiti won't help because it will just be stolen and misused by the corrupt officials.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    how can the Jw's explain away the haiti earthquake?

The god they worship has no qualms about exterminating women and children. This event pales in comparison to what they're eagerly awaiting.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

www.watchtower.org

Search for the answer from the official source.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit