Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education, page 31--excellent quote

by sd-7 5 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

"Some have wisely invested time in studying some of our Christian publications that were printed prior to their learning the truth."

Hmm...I think I'll take them up on that! They weren't very specific in which ones we should study, so that leaves us with some very interesting material to consider. The Finished Mystery, for example. Or how about The Harp of God? Millions Now Living Will Never Die? The March 1, 1925 Watchtower article "Birth of a Nation", which I just read yesterday, was very interesting. The Society's officers and their release from prison, up until a Cedar Point convention talk on September 8, 1922, were interpreted for the first time as the meaning of Revelation 12:6, the 1,260 days where the woman is protected after giving birth to a child.

The latter point was presented as a "theory". One can only imagine what the consequences would be for one of Jehovah's Witnesses if he or she openly stated that such an interpretation was "theory" and that therefore they chose not to believe it.

One thing I also noted were some surprisingly cautionary statements made about the whole 1925 thing. I'm assuming that's because it was already 1925 and nothing had happened. It makes me want to continue to search for data on this era, simply to make sure I've got all my facts right. They did make many statements that were, as Ray Franz called them, "admittedly asinine", in the "Millions" book. And in "The Finished Mystery". And in "The Harp of God". Ooh. Kind of hard to overcome that many false statements.

Whatever the case, after reading a statement like the aforementioned--which was just considered at the Service Meeting this week--I think perhaps I shouldn't be so nervous about telling my wife about my reading older publications. It's got the Society's approval, or else they would have been more specific in warning us not to read anything before 19XX. Fascinating. Well, I've said enough. Despite the appearance of Kool-Aid Man II, SD-7 is still active. If you're reading this, you are the resistance.

SD-7

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    Whatever the case, after reading a statement like the aforementioned--which was just considered at the Service Meeting this week--I think perhaps I shouldn't be so nervous about telling my wife about my reading older publications. It's got the Society's approval, or else they would have been more specific in warning us not to read anything before 19XX. Fascinating. Well, I've said enough. Despite the appearance of Kool-Aid Man II, SD-7 is still active. If you're reading this, you are the resistance.

Yes, indeed!

• blondie
    blondie

As far as reading older publications, the WTS quotes from them all the time, selectively. If they can read them, and they do have them in the general libraries at the Bethels openly available to any Bethelite, why can't jws read older publications. The last congregation I went to was the founding one in the area and had the WTs back to the 1910's, and books back till then. The WTs are back to the 1950's on the CD and you can find much that is "old," e.g., the superior authorities are God and Jesus and the great tribulation started in 1914 and temporarily stopped in 1918.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You are only supposed to read them with an eye of understanding. You understand that the pages are not as bright as those printed in the 'new light' of understanding.

• Slayerbard
    Slayerbard

Sad thing is they taunt the witnesses with the infomation of what there fourmor beleifs were. Like the Proclaimers book. Anyone who reads that and how the religion started and where it is now. If they don't raise an eyebrow at that, then there not downing the koolaid by the glass there drinking right out of the pitcher.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think they would do well to read the original rags from the 1966-75 period, focusing on the parts that encouraged the witlesses to sell everything and pio-sneer during the period. Compare this with reprints of the same rags, and see how many alterations you are going to find.

If they can't keep the reprints true to the originals, you know something is not right. Transcription errors are not an excuse, because the same plates that were used to print up the original rags should have also been used to print the reprints.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit