Watchtowers use of qualifying words

by donny 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• donny
    donny

The Society loves the use of qualifying words, i.e. "apparently", "logically", "evidently" and others. Here are some examples of scripture if the Society had written them.

Genesis 1:1- In the beginning God apparently created the heavens and the earth.

Mark 15:34 - And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"--which means, "My God, my God, why have you evidently forsaken me?"

Luke 23:43 - Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, logically you will be with me in paradise."

Revelation 21:6 He said to me: "It is done. I am apparently the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will evidently give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life.

John 9:2 - His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who evidently sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Logically, neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this apprently happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.

Any others?

• donny
    donny

and a few more

John 3:16 - For God apparently loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that evidently any who believes in him shall not perish but possibly may have eternal life.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was evidently with God, and the Word possibly was God.

Proverbs 4:18 - And the path of the righteous is evidently a shining light, Going and brightening till the day is apprently established,

Ezekiel 23:20 - Logically she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were evidently like those of donkeys and whose emission was apparently like that of horses

Note on the preceding verse - Why would an omnipotent creator need to have something like this recorded?

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

"irrisistable conclusion" i saw this on the guide to all the different meaning to the generation over the years

• Farkel
    Farkel

Jehovah's Witnesses were taught to use those words in their book "Qualifying Words to Be Ministers."

Farkel

• Terry
    Terry

The Scientific Method works because it sets an outstanding standard of proof:

State your premise in such a way that it CAN BE PROVED FALSE by a specific example of counter-fact.

This is called falsifiability. Proof rules.

Scientific Theory is the result of constant testing for contraries.

The opposite of this is mere assertion from an AUTHORITY. An unimpeachable authority stand above argument, reasoning,

testing and opposition.

For an Authority of this sort the game begins and ends by avoiding at all costs any obvious TEST which disproves authenticity.

Tomorrow it will definitely rain can be disproved by a sunny day.

Obviously, mainting the illusion of Authority rests on avoiding such disproofs at all costs.

When William Miller and his Second Adventists set the date for Christ's return with authority (from scripture) and logic (various dates matching various scriptures) they made the astonishing error of being precise, exact and definite! They did this because they were HONESTLY wrong.

They were in error the FIRST time. But, the second time they set a wrong date they were already intellectually dishonest and suffering from stubborn hubris.

The modern beginnings of the Adventists signalled a state of mind triggered by a thirst for ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY.

The most certain thing the believers had in their world view was SCRIPTURE!

Their false premise was that Scripture revealed inerrant truth about when Christ would return. From this false premise they compounded their error by building argument on argument and tying it all together in an appealing argument of "proof".

From this Adventist beginning Pastor Charles Taze Russell followed. He was just as wrongly innocent at the beginning. You might say he was naive. But, he was educated, stubborn and wealthy. That can take crackpot certainty a long, long way.

Where Russell made his worst error was in his certainty. He foolishly (because he was naive and honest) made his theories TESTABLE as to falsifiability. In other words, he set himself up to prove whether or not he was a crackpot and a fool!

Armageddon was advertised as, "not the beginning of the end, but, the end itself." 1914 was selected based on various ideas already worked out by other sincere crackpots.

1914 came and World War One broke out.

This was viewed as PROOF certain. Except....it wasn't.

It was DISPROOF certain......unless.......unless......unless......

Yes, unless Russell backtracked and started removing the falsifiable statements from his previous statements. He did. He began shifting emphasis. He couched previous sentences in changed language.

At this point, Russell proved himself dishonest. It turned him from a naive believer into a fraud. No doubt about it.

He died in 1916 with nothing turning out the way he had predicted.

He had been declared the Faithful and Wise Servant whom the Master had appointed over all his belongings.

The only problem was that the Master had selected an intellectually dishonest man who could not admit his error.

Anybody who cooks the books, changes the dates, weasels the language and acts as though he is correct when he is provably incorrect is not a man of integrity.

Followed by Rutherford, the same pattern continued. Date setting, claims made, language of certainty. Hubris, outrageous bragging and ranting all fell flat as dates and events never came to pass as predicted!

Here is where the above TOPIC TITLE comes in: Re: Watchtower's use of qualifying words

If you are going to maintain the illusion that Jesus is guiding you, the Holy Spirit is directing you and that you are the chosen mouthpiece of Jehovah announcing His Kingdom on Earth---well, you better not keep on flunking the tests of your legitimacy.

Weasel words commenced with Russell when he discovered he was wrong and continued with Rutherford and Fred Franz up through and including the 1975 fiasco.

From 1968 through 1975 the most important event advertised by Jehovah's mouthpiece was called "The End of 6,000 years of human existence" which "wink wink--nudge nudge" meant Armageddon.

It didn't happend. Plain and simple falsifiability. End of story. Right?

No.

The qualifying continued. The weasel words continued. The crackdown on demands for apology commenced.

The heart of the Watchtower hardened like never before.

Fred Franz was the author of this (and previous) humiliations to Jehovah's mouthpiece as the resident oracle and channeler of Jesus' specific instructions. He was proved to be a fraud and a liar and false prophet.

What did the Watchtower do to him?

It made him President! The reward for a false prophet in scripture was death.

The Watchtower promoted the author of the lies!

Need we say more?

They can avoid as many specifics as possible now and merely churn the same old fermented dreck as before--but, the matter has long been settled.

THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY IS AN ORGANIZATION OF FALSE PROPHETS ruling over a deluded mass of witless dupes.

• besty
    besty

welcome back terry - there are precious few with your talent for original thought and creative writing.....

• agonus
    agonus

They never claimed to be prophets! (nudge nudge wink wink)

• agonus
    agonus

Forgive me. My Watchtowerese is a bit rusty. Forgot the qualifier:

CLEARLY, they never claimed to be prophets!

• flipper
    flipper

DONNY- Good thread. It's one of the first things Mrs. Flipper my wife noticed about Jehovah's Witnesses when she started posting on the boards and observing them. She was raised Catholic ( got out as a teenager ) and she REALLy notices the loaded language and catch phrases and qualifying words. I think the WT society does it intentionally to sound brainier ( allegedly ) to the peons

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

John 3:16: Very likely, God loved the world so much that he seems to have given his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have apparently everlasting life.

Matthew 24:14: And evidently this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the apparently inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations and then the end will likely come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit