experiences from the 2002 yearbook.....venting

by flower 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Eric,

Do you have an electronic copy of the 1971 Yearbook? My CD-ROM only goes back to 1980. If you do, would you cut 'n past the actual quote. I'd love to have that quote as an example.

Alternatively, does anyone know if the 1971YB quote is included in any famous "List"?

Thirdson

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Thirdson:

Here is the experience from the 1971 Yearbook.

What version of the CD-ROM do you have that only has the Yearbooks back to 1980?

The version I found it on is the 1995 version, but I have just received the newest 1999 version from a friend. If thats what you have, then I'm reluctant to install the newer version as it overrides the older one and this stuff will be lost.

Let me know will you please as I will have a lot of saving of stuff to do before I install my newer version.

Anyway, this experience is a prime example of the hype that influenced people to put their faith in the "End Coming In 1975" fiasco.

I was told that an elder gave a talk just last Sunday saying that the 1975 hysteria was caused by overzealous publishers...it was all their fault so the WTS had to step in to correct the error.

Sheesh am I ever glad I wasn't there to hear that...I would have had to do some serious restraining or get up and walk out for sure.

So here is the experience:

*** yb71 134-5 Country Reports (Part One) ***
    WESTERN SAMOA Population: 140,000
    Peak Publishers: 92 Ratio: 1 to 1,522

A brother with a family of eleven, including an adopted daughter and pioneer living with them, wanted to get all of them overseas to the international assembly in Fiji. Only one source of finance was available. His employers kept a superannuation fund to be withdrawn on retirement or in very exceptional circumstances. Having worked there many years, the brother figured he would have enough in it to get the family to the assembly. Reasoning that integrity and faith in Jehovah will get one through the coming tribulation whether one has money in a fund or not, he resolved to invest his fund toward guaranteeing his family’s future spiritual survival.

It was not until the week of travel to the assembly that he was able to contact his managing director. Naturally, his director felt as many would. He wondered why a family man would wish to withdraw his only security against the future and chance leaving nothing for them if something happened to him. The brother explained the importance to him and his family as Jehovah’s worshipers of attending the assembly and that this was the only way for them to get to Fiji. His being a respected and trusted employee, his director favorably granted the request and made an unprecedented exception in letting him withdraw his superannuation fund in full. Happy and thankful to Jehovah for this blessing, he went the following day and paid his family’s ship fares to Fiji. The family then joyfully prepared to leave.

Later that week, however, the brother was informed that the ship was strike-bound in another country and would not be sailing as expected. The only other way out of the country, so as to be at the assembly in time, was by air at greater expense. Suffice it to say that the brother and his family enjoyed the assembly, with no regrets. They know that only spiritual steadfastness, faith and obedience to Jehovah will preserve them. in the future and not transient material possessions.

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• Eric
    Eric

Thirdson,

My pleasure,

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*** yb71 134-5 Country Reports (Part One) ***
    WESTERN SAMOA Population: 140,000
    Peak Publishers: 92 Ratio: 1 to 1,522
    A brother with a family of eleven, including an adopted daughter and pioneer living with them, wanted to get all of them overseas to the international assembly in Fiji. Only one source of finance was available. His employers kept a superannuation fund to be withdrawn on retirement or in very exceptional circumstances. Having worked there many years, the brother figured he would have enough in it to get the family to the assembly. Reasoning that integrity and faith in Jehovah will get one through the coming tribulation whether one has money in a fund or not, he resolved to invest his fund toward guaranteeing his family’s future spiritual survival.
    It was not until the week of travel to the assembly that he was able to contact his managing director. Naturally, his director felt as many would. He wondered why a family man would wish to withdraw his only security against the future and chance leaving nothing for them if something happened to him. The brother explained the importance to him and his family as Jehovah’s worshipers of attending the assembly and that this was the only way for them to get to Fiji. His being a respected and trusted employee, his director favorably granted the request and made an unprecedented exception in letting him withdraw his superannuation fund in full. Happy and thankful to Jehovah for this blessing, he went the following day and paid his family’s ship fares to Fiji. The family then joyfully prepared to leave.
    Later that week, however, the brother was informed that the ship was strike-bound in another country and would not be sailing as expected. The only other way out of the country, so as to be at the assembly in time, was by air at greater expense. Suffice it to say that the brother and his family enjoyed the assembly, with no regrets. They know that only spiritual steadfastness, faith and obedience to Jehovah will preserve them. in the future and not transient material possessions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the 1997 CD-ROM. It may go back further than yours.

In testing my CD-burner, I ended up with several copies of my '97 WT CD-ROM. They're just lying around here, begging for somewhere to go.

Eric

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Thank you Had Enough and Eric. My WT CD is the 1993 edition so I am somewhat behind. The Awakes also only go as far back as 1980 and I know there are lots of goofy articles in the 1970s because I read them as as a teenager.

Eric if you have a spare copy, I'd be willing to cover any expenses. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks,

Thirdson [email protected]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit