WT language

by KingAgag 17 Replies latest jw friends

• wobble
    wobble

Dear KingAgag,

I felt exactly the same about having an English translation,especially when people said "Oh yours is an American religion" , they were usually Church of England, who all firmly believe, as I do , that God is an Englishman.

Typos I can understand ,esp. on here, but when people show their obvious ignorance of the correct word or expression to use, it takes away from the strength of their argument.

For example, a number on here say "I could care less" when they mean "I could not care less" so you wonder what their real feelings on the subject are.

I also dislike the American spelling of many words as you lose the etymology,and again that takes away from the strength of the word, as ones mental image is not so enhanced.

I do think too,that had the WT presented their literature in proper English to the world it would have had greater respect, especially the NWT, of course they could always provide an American version.

love

Wobble

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

Wobble - thanks for your comment but I didn't understand something. God is an Englishman? What do you mean by that?! I don't believe in God at all, but claiming he is English (nor am I English) just seems a bit weird.

• goldensky
    goldensky

I also find it sad to come across so many spelling and grammar mistakes on posts written by native English/American speakers. I personally keep two thick dictionaries 20 cms. away from my computer and use them profusely before I hit Submit. I find my efforts are worth it because I'm a perfectionist. But not everybody minds so much. That's the way things are...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Spelling errors are one thing. Easily corrected.

But the arrogance of believing that European English is somehow superior to USA English is downright elitist. Why in the world would the word "color" need a "u" in it?

• KingAgag
    KingAgag

Mad Sweeney - I didn't say the one was superior to the other at all. What point I was making was that American English and European English have enough differences to irritate a European (or vice versa). I don't think it was 'arrogant' at all nor should you be attributing arrogance to me. The small things like colour/color... I didn't say one was 'better' than the other just that we are more accustomed to the one. As for needing a 'u', I think the question should be: why did the Americans remove the 'u' in the first place? Was it too difficult to spell?

• megaflower
    megaflower

I'am a horrible speller and college educated. There is no link to IQ and spelling ability-a proven fact. English is my first and sadly my only lauguage and grammer is not my strong suit either. My strength lies in science, medical science.

• donny
    donny

They don't even speak good American english!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> 'proper' English

We speak 'Merican in these parts. G'it a rope!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit