List of things to do

by doublelife 10 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

When I was 23 I made a list of things to do before I turn 30. Then I thought, "What's the rush? When the new system gets here I'll be able to do whatever I want." So I never paid attention to the list and now I no longer have it. I turned 27 a couple of months ago. In three years I'll be 30. I could start another list but I would only have three years to do everything. It depresses me to think of all the wasted time I could have enjoyed.

I made another list recently of things to do that I was never allowed to when I was a jw. After I made the list I realized I might never be able to do some of the things on it(such as Valentine's Day) because my husband is still a jw.

Someone at my work is selling girl scout cookies. I'm going to buy some and I'll be able to check that one off my list. Nobody at work knows about me not wanting to be a jw anymore. It's kind of weird that I can be excited about buying girl scout cookies. No one at work will understand how significant something like this is for me.

btw, I'm not telling anyone at work because one of my co-workers has jw family. Even though they go to spanish and I go to english, I'm not taking any chances.

• andy5421
    andy5421

turns out that buying GS cookies is a matter of Personal Choice:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_can%27t_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses_buy_girl_scout_cookies

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

Yeah, I never actually heard about the girl scout thing until I left and was doing research. We always bought them.

Cool idea, btw, I might make a list, too...

• andy5421
    andy5421

as far as I know there is no precedent set forth in Awake or Watchtowwer mags to prohibit buying GS cookies. grey area, personal choice

• doublelife
    doublelife

Even though the society may say its a personal choice my mom always taught me that it was wrong. So it's still a big deal for me.

But thanks for the clarification.

• doublelife
    doublelife

And btw, there are lots of things the society says is a personal choice but to be considered a "spiritually mature" person you would have to not do it. And when I became an adult and started pioneering, it was always drilled into me that pioneers have to be "above reproach." So it would have looked bad in my congregation to buy them.

• megaflower
    megaflower

There will come a time when you no longer care what anyone thinks. It is your life and no one else's. You need to do things that will make you happy. We all wake up and move along at our own pace. You will find yours too, it wil take some time. Peace.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

doublelife, I know where you're coming from. I felt excited and a bit naughty when I bought my first lottery ticket, but hey - I felt absolutely no guilt!

Hey - we're growing!

• leec
    leec
    turns out that buying GS cookies is a matter of Personal Choice

I'm just trying to imagine this being read by a normal ('worldy') person ....

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    turns out that buying GS cookies is a matter of Personal Choice

Not really. There's always that disclaimer: "But a person who really loves Jah and/or doesn't want to stumble anyone, wouldn't buy them......"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit