Do the Differences Between Spiritual Beliefs Really Matter?

by daniel-p 24 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

One of the themes I think about every now and again is that of the nature of belief, the purpose of religion, and the presense of truth.

Specifically, do the differences between spiritual beliefs really matter? Meaning that, if every religion is just an amalgamation of different combinations of mysticisms, does it really matter if we are Protestants, Catholics, Quakers, Mormons, Muslims, Pagans, Jews, or even Jehovah's Witnesses? Further, does it really matter whether we believe in God or not? Do we need to fully believe in God to avail ourselves of one (or more) of the world's religious heritages? If not, why wouldn't atheists and agnostics associate themselves with a particular religion that they find acceptable? Many religions don't even require belief in specific doctrines, but encourage a self-motivated adherence to a life-pattern, leading to a more individualized faith of unique expressions.

I guess what I'm getting at is what's involved when people just decide to believe certain things, and under which circumstances they are able to rationalize doing so. For example, since I don't know if God exists, does it really matter whether I think he does or not? If not (if it doesn't matter to me or the rest of the universe) then why wouldn't I just choose to believe in the God I constructed for myself (or even the God shown to me by a packaged dogma or spiritual way)?

If I chose to believe in God, my life might very well be better, since it could remove many existential stresses placed upon people who believe there is no conscious order to the universe or higher state of consciousness (spirituality) that transcends time, being, and self.

Anyway, I'm just rambling I guess, and wanted to get some thoughts down.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Do the Differences Between Spiritual Beliefs Really Matter?

I think so. It matters if my belief is to convert the world by the sword or not, for example. To paraphrase Pope Benedict: "there should be no compulsion in religion."

BTS

• zarco
    zarco

Good thread, daniel-p.

I think we have come to the personal belief that it doesn't really matter. If there is a god, he has not left clear instructions as to what to do or what to believe and if chooses to harm folks for his own poor instructions, then I don't think he is much of a god anyway. And if there is not a god, then we have to figure stuff out on our own and have to take care of communities, nations and people to the best of our ability. I think the not-a-god path probably makes us better people in that we have to solve our own problems.

God if you are listening, we are rooting for you, but you have a lot of explaining to do :)

zarco

• beksbks
    beksbks
    To paraphrase Pope Benedict: "there should be no compulsion in religion."

Hmmm seems maybe religion has no place in politics. Trying to compel the populace to live according to religious dictates.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Of course!..

Anyone who does`nt believe exactly like me..

Is Wrong!..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I've wondered this, too.

Take the Trinity doctrine for example. Either God is or is not. I'm not sure how we can know, I mean the debate has raged on for centuries.

But if one person believes in the Trinity and tries to be a good person and another person doesn't believe in the Trinity and tries to be a good person, does it really matter???

If God is as the Trinity states, and I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, will he destroy me for not believing it - even if I believe in him and try to be a good person in my life? Which is more important? That I completely understand the nature of God or that I try to be the best person I can?

Hope I'm making sense.....

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Belief makes no difference. They are as nebulous as thoughts.

Behaviors require regulation. Regulation should not be hindered nor expanded purely based on beliefs but rather on consequences.

Belief is a choice - or a an indoctrination.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I think so. It matters if my belief is to convert the world by the sword or not, for example. To paraphrase Pope Benedict: "there should be no compulsion in religion."

BTS

I would certainly agree with you on that account... a better way to ask my questions would be, "All Moralities Equal, Do the Differences Matter..."

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

If God is as the Trinity states, and I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, will he destroy me for not believing it - even if I believe in him and try to be a good person in my life? Which is more important? That I completely understand the nature of God or that I try to be the best person I can? -palmtree

I'm with you on this. Surely, without absolutely clear direction, God (if he exists) cannot justify punishing people for not following a specific dogma. (If he did, he would not be worth worshipping, but that's another matter.)

So it stands to reason that what really matters is the outcome of our lives and characters.

This sounds really basic but for former JWs its actually quite revelatory.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

To expand on this a little bit, I remember one of the very first things I was told when I came onto JWD (I think in my first post introducing myself), was something like "... likewise if God didn't exist there would be no harm in praying to him."

At the time, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, because why would I, and how could I, pray to someone I didn't know existed? Doesn't make sense.

So the other day I was having a hell of a time calming myself down before a phone interview for a job. I was pacing around the room and then it came to me that some other people would use prayer to calm themselves down. It seemed a selfish reason for doing so, but I just decided to try it anyway on a whim. I prayed to Jesus, not Jehovah, said a few things, and that was it. I didn't have any special feeling or anything, not any different than if I had just forced myself to stand there and clear my head.

So is this God we carry around in our pocket only what we need him to be? I guess that's an unknowable question. And one that doesn't really matter but for examining our own motivations.

In any case, I crave a spiritual substance I just don't see anywhere; I don't feel it inside me, nor do I see it around me. Maybe I haven't stayed in one place long enough, mentally or emotionally to see it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit