Questions From Readers -- May 15th, 2011 WT

by sd-7 13 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

Is it acceptable for Christian women to wear hair extensions?

In Bible times, the apostle Peter advised Christian women against "hair braiding and the wearing of expensive garb." The wearing of braids in one's hair has its origins in Babylonian and Greek culture. Says the book Arcane Artistry: Ancient Hairstyles of the Occult, "Hair braiding...was done in an effort to...protect women from the gods, who were said to be ever-lurking and interested in finding multiple new [immoral] partners amongst mortal females. The braids...were an attempt to confuse the gods into believing that women were actually animals being viewed from above." In many lands today, the unscriptural practice of hair braiding continues.

Some may reason that, if others are not necessarily aware of the hairpiece they are wearing, that it is acceptable to wear it. But is it wise to assume what others may or may not be stumbled by? Is it not the course of wisdom to act as wise ones and avoid stumbling others? Also, many women feel it necessary to wear wigs for the sake of concealing their true selves. Is it appropriate for a Christian woman to perhaps withhold critical information about her appearance from a potential or current mate, thus giving a false impression of a finer quality of hair than she actually has? Such behavior would betray a lack of respect for the headship arrangement. Her husband or potential husband has every right to know her intimately, not to be misled about the kind of woman she is on the inside. Humility would require her to not attempt to exaggerate about any aspect of herself.

Consider, too, the fact that many hair extensions are made from 100% human hair. This could be interpreted by some as a form of cannibalism--taking human parts and essentially consuming them by grafting them onto one's body. As cannibalism is a serious sin from God's standpoint, those who dare to disregard him are subject to the serious consequences of such brazen action.

Keep in mind, though, that as Christians, what we do affects others. We do not want to give any cause for stumbling so that no one can find fault with our zealous Christian ministry. It is good, therefore, for mature Christian women to consider these principles and make their own personal decisions carefully.

...This is an easily recognized fake, I hope. But I wanted to see, once more, what people might think.

SD-7

• dig692
    dig692

i feel silly now, i thought it was real! (like the other one about cats)

it wouldn't shock me at all if this is the course the GB actually took in the near future. sheesh!

• ziddina
    ziddina

HAW!!! Good one! Took me in, too !!!

That part about " Some may reason that, if others are not necessarily aware of the hairpiece they are wearing, that it is acceptable to wear it. But is it wise to assume what others may or may not be stumbled by? Is it not the course of wisdom to act as wise ones and avoid stumbling others?"

SO typical of the 'weasel phrases' the WTBTS uses to give people "freedom" in "matters of conscience", while underhandedly enforcing the WTBTS' official lines of reasoning - think voting, blood issues, and other 'matters of personal conscience'... That was commented on in another thread - lemme see if I can find it again... Zid

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

...er, not so easily recognized, I had to go back and look at the year of publication a couple times!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The magazines get handed out earlier and earlier these days.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This one might be made up, but it is not beyond the realm of what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger is capable of putting out. And it could happen at any time.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The date kind of tipped me off.... 2011? Do they think that far in advance?

• sd-7
    sd-7

And that's the thing. Simply on the basis of their authority, the 'slave' can make anything into something pagan--or anything into something scriptural. When you have that kind of power, you have managed to stay in office long after your term has expired. Oh, right, nobody elected them....

SD-7

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

haha, a more "random quoted texts" and it would have looked pretty real!

This isn't that far from the truth though, just change the gender - why can't male JWs do anything with their hair? I was constantly bullied to keep mine short and when I started colouring it (tastefully) I had some of my 'privileges' removed as an MS.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

not far fetched at all. I remember the days when beards and moustaches were forbidden and Jesus was portrayed clean-shaven in the mags.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit