Explain the Lord's prayer

by loosie 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Pray with Simplicity

Matthew 6:5 "And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

6 "Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

7 -13 "The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
    Reveal who you are.
    Set the world right;
    Do what's best— as above, so below.
    Keep us alive with three square meals.
    Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
    You're in charge!
    You can do anything you want!
    You're ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

14 -15 "In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can't get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God's part.

16 -18 "When you practice some appetite-denying discipline to better concentrate on God, don't make a production out of it. It might turn you into a small-time celebrity but it won't make you a saint. If you 'go into training' inwardly, act normal outwardly. Shampoo and comb your hair, brush your teeth, wash your face. God doesn't require attention-getting devices. He won't overlook what you are doing; he'll rewardyou well. MSG

LOL.

I love it!

Sylvia

• dinah
    dinah

Our Father who art in heaven, Howard be thy name..................

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I think a helpful text is 1 Corinthians 10:13: "God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it". The idea here is not that God leads people into temptation directly but that he would provide a way out from giving in to temptation, leaving it up to the person to give in or not. So it is still a test, but God is not conceived as the source of the temptation or the one leading one to it.

That is how I view it also.

I would add that it can also be a plea to God not to lead us to be temptation/testing as was done to Job.

Perhaps a plea to help us with our lack of humility that can lead to temptation.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

The Lord's Prayer was originally said in Aramaic so loses something in the translation into Greek...interesting web site which gives the translation from Aramaic into English:

http://www.spiritheart.org/chapel/lordpryr.htm#lamsa_aramaic

• snowbird
    snowbird

Dinah, you've got the whole office rocking!

Sylvia

• acolytes
    acolytes

Psacramento. Why would God lead us into temptation?

I always had difficult giving thanks for my daily bread. I mean it was the government of my country that provided that. What about the starving millions that could not receive a answer from that request?

Acolytes.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Interesting:

THE ARAMAIC PRAYER OF JESUS
    as translated from Aramaic by Saadi Neil Douglas-Klotz of the Sufi Order of the West

O, Birther of the Cosmos, focus your light within us -- make it useful
    Create your reign of unity now
    Your one desire then acts with ours,
    As in all light,
    So in all forms,
    Grant us what we need each day in bread and insight:
    Loose the cords of mistakes binding us,
    As we release the strands we hold of other's guilt.
    Don't let surface things delude us,
    But free us from what holds us back.
    From you is born all ruling will,
    The power and the life to do,
    The song that beautifies all,
    From age to age it renews.
    I affirm this with my whole being.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

The first thing I thought when I saw this question was, "How can we even begin to understand this ENGLISH version of what Jesus really said?" Obviously, the midieval version of these words are going to have to be looked at with a midieval slant on them. I loved the website and here is another translation. LEAD US NOT INTO THE HANDS OF TEMPTATION. Seems pretty clear to me.

AVINU SHEBA-SHAMAYYIM
    Our Father Who art in the heavens

YITKADASH SHEMAYCHA
    Let Thy Name be sanctified (hallowed)

TAVO MALKUTAYCHA
    May Thy Kingdom come

YE-ASSEH RETZONCHA
    Let Your Will take place

K'MO BA-SHAMAYYIM KAIN BA-ARETZ
    as it is in the heavens, so also upon the earth

ET LECHEM HUKAYNU TEN-LONU HA-YOM
    Give us today the bread for this day

U-SLACH LONU ET HOVOTHEYNU
    Forgive us our sins (debts)

KA-ASHER SOLACHNU GAM ANACHNU L'HA-YAVAYNU
    As we also have forgiven our debtors

VIH-AL TIVI-AYNU LI-Y'DAY NISA-YON
    And lead us not into the hands of temptation

KEE IM HAL-TZAYNU MIN HARAH
    And deliver us from evil

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The Lord's Prayer was originally said in Aramaic so loses something in the translation into Greek...interesting web site which gives the translation from Aramaic into English:

http://www.spiritheart.org/chapel/lordpryr.htm#lamsa_aramaic

As mentioned in another thread here a few weeks ago, the Peshitta does not necessarily reflect the "original Aramaic" before its was translated into Greek. It is a rather late (fourth-fifth century AD) translation of a Greek text into a different Aramaic dialect than the one spoken by first-century AD Jews in Judea. The Lord's Prayer may however be a special case because it is a liturgical text and thus the form of the prayer in the Peshitta may represent what was currently used in the Syriac church, which does not necessarily depend on the Greek gospels. In other words, it may have features independent of the Greek text tradition of Matthew, Luke, and the Didache (which give different forms of the prayer).

The text given by bluesapphire, on the other hand, is a translation of the Lord's Prayer into Hebrew.

• loosie
    loosie

Thak you everyone for your help

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit