My Book of Bible Stories--extremist?

by sd-7 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

Neither 'My Book of Bible Stories' nor the actual Christian Holy Bible are suitable for children.

RunningMan's 'The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories' is one that would be a better read that Botchtower's rendition.

You can download a copy from here: https://www.box.com/shared/uclytd91jd

• still thinking
    still thinking

Neither 'My Book of Bible Stories' nor the actual Christian Holy Bible are suitable for children.

I used to skip so much of that book because it was inappropriate for the kids...there was hardly anything left to read.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My daughter was very young, like 18 months, when that book came out and she loved it. I realise now that it was completely inappropriate for a child that age, but at the time I thought it was great because she was so interested in it and could name most of the bible characters in it. What was I thinking? She was very bright, but also very sensitive, she always could understand thinks intellectually before she was able to deal with them emotionally. I do think it harmed her, she had enough trouble worrying about things, she didn't need the visual of people getting destroyed at Armageddon. She used to cry about having to grow up and pay taxes. She once asked me why they were tearing out the lemon trees in an orchard, so I told her the farmer probably could make more money selling the land for houses. I intended it to be an economics lesson, but she immediately got hysterical because "we are all going to die, there won't be any food". We were on the way to meeting, I had to turn around and go home she was so upset. Then they had the yearbook about the experiences of JWs in the concentration camps, so she worried about that for six months, she was 7 at the time. It can't be good for children to be shown such graphic images.

• rojblake
    rojblake

Until a few days ago. We did our 'Family Worship' based on the story of Naaman and the Israelite girl whose speaking up led to his being cured of leprosy. In conclusion, the story says, "We learn from this that we should always obey God's servants

No we should always question and be proven that the answer is correct, there is a scripture that states "Make sure of all things". Just because a man says it is so, does not make it so, proof is needed and you have to believe it for yourself, not because you are told that is the truth. The girl acted out of belief not compulsion, that is true faith. If there is doubt then it is false and should be avoided.

• zeb
    zeb

From memory. there were a few stories of jesus love for people and the rest were all themed on 'do it or else'.

It saw very little use in our house.

• Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever

It's funny because when my parents read it for me I only took it for a cool storybook. And I never got the impression of that this was real stories you should believe in and take them very seriously.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit