What's the point of all those presents?

by penny2 24 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2

Yes, I know I was brought up as a JW so my view is probably distorted. But why as an adult, would you want to receive gifts that you neither need nor want from people who can’t really afford to give them?

I love xmas from the point of view of spending a whole day eating, talking and a little drinking with loved ones. Catching up with people you may not have seen for a while.

But to feel obligated to give everyone a present just seems a little crazy. Children – yes, that’s fun. But adults? It’s got me stumped.

penny

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

follow the $$$

Ask yourself, "who benefits?"

Class Over

• dgp
    dgp

It's a socially well-established way of letting people know you care about them . That's the whole point of it.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Giving someone a gift is an expression of love. Christmas time is a reason for giving someone a gift -- to show them you thought about them and that you love them. Gifts don't have to be purchased. You can make them too. I love handmade gifts!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Granted many people give gifts simply because they think they have to.

But I hope most people give well thought out gifts with the person in mind and their likes and dislikes.

This year I went for monogrammed items for the adults - scarves with initials for my daughters - made by hand and my daughter said to make pillows for the grandchildren so they got pillows tailored to their likes - a monogrammed 4-ft long green pillow for the teen and dinosaur and cat pillows for the 4 and 5 yr olds.

For me it isn't about the receiving. It is about the giving. And I like to make that special.

• blondie
    blondie

So you are assuming that everyone feels obligated to buy everyone in their sphere a present.

Many familes choose a name to buy one gift for one person.

I take it that you don't like receiving gifts.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Don`t worry..

You won`t be getting any presents from us..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• Satanus
    Satanus

So, santa didn't visit you? Me either. It's ok. People have given me gifts, but never at christmass time.

S

• penny2
    penny2

Thank you for your comments.

This year I went for monogrammed items for the adults - scarves with initials for my daughters - made by hand and my daughter said to make pillows for the grandchildren so they got pillows tailored to their likes - a monogrammed 4-ft long green pillow for the teen and dinosaur and cat pillows for the 4 and 5 yr olds.

Lady Lee, that would be wonderful to receive presents like that (and a lot of fun to think up the ideas and then make them).

Satanus, I did actually receive a gift. I have an ex-JW relative who is into xmas in a big way and he includes me in their family celebrations which I enjoy.

I take it that you don't like receiving gifts.

blondie, I am struggling with the thought that you may have a point. Sounds strange and I'm trying to get my head around it.

penny

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

For me it's the fun and excitement of doing something I never was allowed to do before . Because no one gave my Mom the witness memo we were suppose to recieve gifts all year long ....yeah right .

I love giving gifts a bit more than getting them . But it does feel nice to know someone actually took a minute out of their day to just think about you enough to pick out a special something just for you .

I do not understand the crazy gift giving where people recieve 20 or more presents ! One of my friends does this every year with her family and that seems really overboard to me ,but that is their tradition and they can afford it .

I like recieving practical items I can really use and one or two just pretty things . But it really is just the thought that does count for me .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit