Opened a Watchtower Today!

by treadnh2o 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

It's been a few years, I had some time to spare and it was there. Not considering the actual message, here is what hit me, hard:

The font is larger than that used by any secular publication that one would consider intellectual.

The language is so basic that it would bore the educated but would be embraced by those who were "simple" or perhaps mentally challenged.It alsowould not promote thinking as their was so little substance.

I then checked an AWAKE and it is much the same. It really is obvious why this religion attracts; older ones (font size), uneducated people, foreigners with little grasp of the language and those with "mental issues.

I am not trying to be demeaning to anyone, but I really felt like these magazines were designed to prey on those less fortunate.

IMHO

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I fully agree with you. I tried to read the latest Awake and public

Watchtower and could not believe the lack of substance and the

third grade level of brain power required to comprend the articles.

Sour Grapes

• nugget
    nugget

There is a lack of depth in the public magazines. The articles are bland and lacking substance. I wonder how many people actually read the articles these days even including the r&f. They have become more religious in tone even the Awake which means there is little of real interest in the articles as they generally follow the same format. They drive me mad.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I then checked an AWAKE and it is much the same. It really is obvious why this religion attracts; older ones (font size), uneducated people, foreigners with little grasp of the language and those with "mental issues.

Correct assumption, immigrants are not totally aware of how religious cults work and operate, there is a bit of naivety

for most parts. Someone knocking on their door with some preconceived knowledge of Christianity are quickly

aroused by the suggestion of a world in total peace and Paradise.

This of course has always been the WTS biggest luring concept for the publishing house.

In true retrospect though most cults operate on in similar principle of offering

something special like Paradise and to also demean the existing world as evil and horrible in which people are living in.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I haven't read a paragraph or two of the WT society's stuff in a couple of years because I find it absolutely childish and illogical and totally based on a very skewed world view. Since leaving the JWs about 10 years ago it's gotten progressively painful to read, I can't believe I used to stuff my self with that garbage.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Opened a Watchtower Today

Did a clown pop out?

• villabolo
    villabolo

In all fairness part of this WTBTS dumbing down is a reflection of the greater secular society (American) that has been dumbing down for decades.

villabolo

• Out at Last!
    Out at Last!

I am so sorry for you! I hope you put it down quickly.

I can't read any WT publications, even a few paragraphs posted on a thread. It just makes me so angry.

• chickpea
    chickpea

Opened a Watchtower Today

now go wash your hands!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

i had a jw doing FS come into my work about 2 months ago, she left some magazines which I started to read I started to read each article but never finished any they were so basic in langauge they were boring, hey but thats y i left the borg to begin with it was boring. Mags ended up in the recycle bin after a couple of dayz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit